Monday, March 19, 2018

Stumbling blocks

Mark 9:42-48

      So last October I once again submitted to going 'under the knife' and had my right hip replaced. I already had this particular surgeon replace my right knee and I was only disappointed that I hadn't done that sooner.  Everything worked out well. However, as I was heading to warmer climates to recuperate I was anxious to get back to my activities like biking. This is where the surgeon gave me some strong advice. Definitely wait at least 2 months and even then approach the bike with great caution. It seems that the very motion I would use to lift my leg over the seat to get on the bike is the same motion that was used to put my new hip in place during surgery. I could conceivably try to get on the bike and dislodge my new hip. Yikes! I am sure some would avoid biking altogether but I am not one to go down without a fight, no pun intended. Life is for living.

      Today's Scripture passage is speaking of stumbling blocks for us. Not only are we admonished to avoid stumbling blocks for ourselves but also not to throw any in someone else's path. The consequences are severe. No matter what your take on hell is, losing your soul to sin is perhaps a suitable definition and something that I wish to avoid.

       Most of the time I think of stumbling blocks the way Jesus had in relation to the Pharisees. Those religious elite had put so many laws and restrictions on life so as to make it virtually impossible to achieve salvation and live a holy life. Jesus would have none of that.

        But sometimes we put stumbling blocks in front of our own feet.  Throwing caution to the wind and riding my bike willy nilly would be but one example. Walking into a bar as an alcoholic might be another glaring example. Walking into a titty bar, leather bar, dive bar or perhaps any bar when you are trying to be chaste and faithful might be another example. Does anyone peruse the personal ads on Craig's List for fun? That might be a great temptation if you are trying to avoid getting yourself in trouble. In a completely different vein, I have somewhat of a shoe fetish. ( Doesn't every gay man? )  Would it be wise, if I needed save money or had money earmarked for charity perhaps, to enter a mall or store filled with shoes just begging to be worn? 

      We have numerous amounts of stumbling blocks, all very personal, some typical. If we are serious about our journey to wholeness and holiness we at least need to take as much temptation out of the equation for ourselves as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment