Sunday, March 18, 2018

Lydia the tattood lady

Acts 16:14-15



  


   Today's scripture passage is about Lydia, a faithful business woman who accepted Jesus as her Lord and Savior. There is so much in this one passage to unwrap and I am sure I don't know the half of it. First, I'd like to know if there is some significance to the fact that she was a 'seller of purple goods'.  That would have some meaning today perhaps but what about then?

      In any event, as my human mind wanders, I cannot help but think of Groucho Marx singing that classic "Lydia the Tattooed Lady". What a classic in so many ways. Groucho's Lydia was quite a special woman or person if you wish. Not your everyday person at all. But when you think about it, are any of us 'everyday'? Is anyone's journey 'normal'? There is bound to something different or queer in each and every one of us. Some quite obvious, some hidden and some merely hinted at. 

     In my vague way, the point that I am getting at is how different we are and how different our lives are. Our Scriptural Lydia was a women ( who in those days would have been mere chattel ), who was a merchant. Not a likely way of life for a woman. Groucho's Lydia was extraordinarily different as described in the song. Groucho's Lydia married an Admiral as the song goes.

      Where will your life take you? If we listen to God and pay attention, we may be taken to places in life we never even imagined. I'll tell you this brief story. A good Catholic boy goes to Catholic school for 20 solid years ( including Seminary ) and then realizes he is gay. Therapy, divorce and he winds up married to a most wonderful man. I could absolutely never have imagined that for myself and yet it is me. I am a faithful loving husband, much happier, true to the person God created me to be and living a good and decent life. What's also funny is that I now have a cat ( or the cat has me ). For years I had been an avowed cat hater. In fact, when I came out someone in my family noted that they'd believe I was gay but they'd never believe that I loved a cat!  How strange life can be, all the twists and turns.

       These twists and turns are an astounding fact of life and especially faith. As we open ourselves to trust in God, to faith and who we are called to be, we will be amazed at our change, at our growth. Very few will find that their path in life is the straight and narrow. A few things I have come to appreciate,  diversity, never judge any one's journey. Most of all, be still to see the amazing things God will unfold for you at your footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment