Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Cooperation

Galatians 5:22-23

     But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

     There are big ways and little ways to cooperate with anything in life. The biggest cooperative effort, if not our raison d'etre, is to cooperate with who God created us to be. That's not just in one aspect of our lives but in the totality of our being. To my way of thinking, that should be a major focus of Lent. That means more than just 'giving something up'. Of course if you are reading this blog, you might already realize that.

     One of the hallmarks of my own coming out is that people actually have noted how much more at peace I am, how happy I am. It's said that I am a changed man ( for the better ). I know how it feels from my side. I am happier. I am at peace. I have a sense of what is important, what is worth getting anxious over, I am more patient, more appreciative of everything, more joyful and I seem more zen like. Dare I say, filled with the Holy Spirit? For myself, I have no illusions that I am on any higher level than anyone else, far from it. What I am saying is that there is such peace of mind and happiness from truly turning your life over to God, to accepting who you are in all aspects of your life, good and bad, steps and missteps.

       This is not the superficial happy face that we wear when we are mingling in a crowd or when someone shows up at the door and you are happy to see them. The peace is knowing from deep inside ( like you know your name when someone asks you ), that God loves you unconditionally. The peace comes from knowing you are cooperating with whatever it is that God has planned for you, whomever God created you to be.  It's no small task. People very often make life altering decisions merely in search of it, not always good.   The sad attempts are seen when a man leaves a spouse for a younger in hopes of finding that 'true happiness'.  How often have you heard or seen that story.  Without God and with our cooperating with God's plan for us, our attempts I suspect would always be in vain. We might only catch a glimpse of God, a glimpse of happiness, a glimpse of who we really are inside.

      Cooperation to the full equals joy, peace. . . . . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment