Wednesday, March 21, 2018

No stone tablets

2 Corinthians 3:1-3

     Perhaps a year ago or so, I stopped blogging for a while.  I found myself being a little too caustic. There was anger in me and very often aimed at the Roman Church. I am blessed in so many ways and one such way is that I recognized no good would come of such negativity. Bad vibes, bad juju, so just stop for a while, which I did.

     Now, with a bit more clarity and less anger, I can at least be a more suitable conduit if God wishes it so.  One message from today’s passage from Corinthians strikes me, something that might have made me a bit angry back when. I was ordained a permanent Deacon in the Roman Church. To me it was ( is ) a clear recognition by God via the church of my innate nature, which is to serve. It recognized what I had already been and what I will always be even if I were to choose not to cooperate with that innate nature.  The Roman Church saw that and recognized it in a formal way. They then chose to “laicize” me when I came out as gay and divorced my wife.  But it is my belief, without anger or malice, that they have no authority to do so. They can restrict my service in their man made church but they cannot undo what God has created in me. No more than to say I am straight by some church proclamation.

    Today’s passage speaks of not needing letters of introduction, recommendations or things written on tablets of stone. What the faithful have is their lives of love written in their hearts. What believers have is who they are and how they act. Sadly what we see now are people who proclaim loudly and vociferously that they are Christians and who act really badly.  This is precisely why the Pope gets kudos when he says 'better to be an atheist than a bad Catholic.'

     Documentation, formal proclamation, human guarantees are all worth nothing. What truly counts is knowing who you are, acknowledging that, knowing God loves you without reservation and acting accordingly. They will know we are Christians by our love.  Not letters.


No comments:

Post a Comment