Friday, October 10, 2014

Living, loving, serving.

Romans 12:1-2,14-21

          I was speaking with a coworker the other day and discovered she too was a deacon in her church. While our churches were different denominations and our training varied, we both had some very important things in common. One was the belief that once you were ordained nothing could remove that designation from you. I always felt ordination was a formal recognition of what had already existed in you by persona and service. The other commonality we had was that we each were now in churches other than the one we had been ordained in. We discussed that at some length.

          Since neither one of us were now acting on our ministry in a specific way within our respective churches, my friend asked whether I thought we were being disobedient to God. Interesting question for sure. I don't believe we are being disobedient so much as discerning. We still live our lives as best we can in the circumstances we were each in. What the future holds is unknown. I do know God will always lead us in the right path if we listen and are intent on discerning our correct path. Too often people jump, looking for "a sign" and interpreting life with a very personal and often self serving lens. That is not what discernment is when we are speaking about our Godly missions.

           One thing I pointed out was the difference in my life after being ordained in the Roman church and my life now as a married man (married to another man who is Jewish - a double whammy according to the Roman church I am sure). In any event, I cannot conceive of going back to the frantic life I lived. My ministry was rushed, frantic and everyone suffered from me being stretched too thinly as I personally grew not so thinly (max wt: 302 pounds).  I suggested to my friend that perhaps my best and possibly my most meaningful ministry may be simply to love my husband and witness God's love to the world in that way. I still act in the holiest manner I can and try to be an outward example of God's love in our life.  Seems simple but it also seems incredibly powerful.  Someday I may discern more to do or even a different path of service but I am open to that. I also know I said yes to God once (in service in ordination) and I have no reason to believe I would say no on a second round. 

           Discerning is not so much watching for "a sign" as it is moving forward by living and always loving. God will lead the way in all important ways. And if I am not listening intently enough, as I have said before, if you don't listen when God taps you on the shoulder; have no doubt he/she will come back with a baseball bat to shake you up and let you know what you are being called to do.

          In the meantime my friend and I will live and love and in so doing discern what it is we are to do. Our mission may simply be to bloom where we have been planted, living, loving and serving.

I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are. Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.’ No, ‘if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads.’ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

No comments:

Post a Comment