Saturday, October 11, 2014

Our FATHER

Father

          In an effort to help the class understand, the deacon teaching our class tried to translate the word Jesus used when speaking to his Father. The word "Abba" is not an ordinary word for father.  Roughly translated, the word would be 'Daddy'.

           I was not graced with a father figure that conjured up images of Father Knows Best, Ozzie and Harriet or Make Room for Daddy. My parents separated when I was very young.  None the less my father loved me enormously. I would discover as much over the years and we would have a strong loving relationship for years before he passed. Some of my brothers did not have such a loving relationship. They were older and had 'witnessed it all'. They saw the arguments, the fighting and the drinking. The beatings continued apparently until he moved out. They were a bit scarred and I doubt that they would completely embrace the loving image of Abba (Daddy).  I presume many are similarly challenged. But for those who have been graced with the storybook version of 'Daddy' or can simply picture it from media or relatives, the image of a man who is nurturing, loving, strong and forgiving such as Daddy, we catch a glimpse of how Jesus really felt about his Father, our Father.

           I saw a note or ad campaign somewhere recently promoting fatherhood. I was the antithesis of the 'hit 'em and quit 'em' rule of life. It notes that anyone can make a baby. There are no special requirements, no license needed. But to be a father, that requires quite a bit more. It requires more than being there for more than the moment of conception. To be a father requires a full range of capabilities, commitment, emotions and strength. 

          I am not sure God is male or female but if God is a continuum like humans are, I believe God's male 'side' is the template for all that the best qualities of human fatherhood.  God did the deed in creating the world and has been loving us since day one. Enmeshed in our lives, intimately involved in who we are, how we love, supporting, nurturing, patient and a long, long list of adjectives that show just how much he loves each one of us. 

          As a meditation I am thinking it would be great to write all of the words down that express our image of Father ( God ). For some it will be a kaleidoscope of beautiful and loving words. For some there will be not so flattering words I am sure. I believe one of the attributes of our Father is that he can understand even our bad thoughts. In writing them down on paper, perhaps we can get a grasp of why we feel that way. Perhaps we can deal with those feelings. Perhaps offer them up to God. 

          

            
He was praying in a certain place, and after he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, ‘Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.’ He said to them, ‘When you pray, say:
Father, hallowed be your name.
   Your kingdom come. 
Give us each day our daily bread. 
And forgive us our sins,
     for we ourselves forgive everyone indebted to us.

   And do not bring us to the time of trial.’

No comments:

Post a Comment