Thursday, February 27, 2020

Embarking and returning at the same time

         In my journey towards closeness with God and the fulness of my humanity, one of the first things that I feel called to do is to reflect. I am not rushing out the door of my Lenten journey driving to an unknown destination at breakneck speed. Let me assess as I begin. Let me take stock of where I am and who I am. I am a sinner. Without comparison or judgment to one extreme or another, I am indeed a sinner.

        As a sinner, I cannot help but take the story of the prodigal son to heart.  As  I read with intent the entire story, I can see just how much God has invested in me. The 'long distance' glimpse, the love, forgiveness, the robe, the ring, the killing of the fatted calf and the celebrations should I simply choose to return.

         Any journey should really be well planned for. For Lent, some honest down time is essential. So is some honest self reflection. Such honest if not brutally honest self reflection should always be accompanied by the comfort that God is there with his/her arm around you. You are not alone. You are loved and cherished.

          Now is the time to return home to God. You are welcomed cherished, loved and celebrated.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment