Tuesday, September 3, 2019

What we are capable of

       There are many people looking around these days seeing an unfortunate similarity between what is going on with the alt right, President Trump and what occurred in Germany  when the Nazi's came to power. One huge question is how can so many seemingly decent people follow and support such evil practises, policies and statements. The lies are legion. The fact that there are people who claim a faith in Christ and in the same breath espouse what Trump is doing is mind numbingly scary. There are even people that claim he is 'of God'. Trump himself has said ( tweeted ) that he was the 'king of Israel' or king of the Jews. In my mind it all goes to what each of us capable of doing when we claim to be followers or a religious of any faith. I mean, even if you read the Quran, you wonder how it is even possible to derive such evil acts as the Taliban has foisted in the name of Islam? We are capable of enormous hypocrisy and evil.

       Perhaps then we can understand somewhat how it came about that Peter, that first 'vicar of Christ on earth', came to steadfastly deny that he knew Jesus as in today's passage from Mark. This was a man of faith bar none it would have seemed. Jesus would leave 'the keys to the church' in his hands. Yet, it was amazingly only days before that Peter is found saying 'Jesus, who?."

         One of the shows that I love to watch is a show called Mom. ( Please don't judge me ) Among other things, the show follows the lives of several people most of whom are dealing with addictions.  A routine scene will be from an AA meeting where people proclaim and confess both successes and failures. It is that failure in the face of their own good intentions of which I am reminded of right now.

           Here is a confession too.  I was married for almost thirty years before I even had a conscious inkling that I was gay. I was ever the faithful spouse, perhaps even to the point of mindlessness. When it comes to faithfulness and commitment to marriage, I am an ultra conservative type. Vows are taken seriously. As I approached the precipice of a more full knowledge of my sexuality that I had long suppressed and denied, I confess to transgressions that were anathema to my beliefs. Looking back on the events of that time in my life, I like to think that it was not so much a break in law, personal or Godly, but of a journey through which I travelled and experienced realities that helped me be a more full and complete person. I believe, the person that God has created me to be. Be that as it may, there is a fine young man in Colorado of whom I have quite fond memories of. I know he remembers me quite well.  I am eternally grateful that I fell in with a bloke who had a much clearer and expansive mind about sexual health and spirituality. The fact remains though, I am a sinner. Without comparisons to the magnitude of Peter's sin, I know that while proclaiming my faith and fidelity, I strayed. Seriously strayed. What is it within us that allows us to proclaim one thing and do exactly the opposite?  One thing for sure, I know to never swear "never", that seems like the kina hurra of all kina hurras.

          How do we guard ourselves from actions, big and small that are contrary to what we claim to believe? It is obviously not a new phenomena as witnessed by Peter, countless Church officials, millions of German citizens, Trumpites and yes, me.

        A huge part of the answer in my mind is claiming fully what you say you are.  You cannot claim to be a Christian for example without being a thorough lover, forgiver and without picking up your own cross. Another requirement is that thing Jesus used to do as noted in Scripture. He would sequester himself away 'to a quiet place' or into the desert. We must have time to use our minds, quiet our minds from our own agendas and truly listen to the voice of God. Rest assured, God's voice is not like any human voice of people like Franklin Graham, Bryan Fischer or Tony Perkins. God's voice is full of all embracing love, forgiveness and understanding.  When you hear a voice of condemnation and self righteousness, you can pretty much assured that it is not the voice of God.

           I have no real answers except constant vigilance to our paths, be who we are created to be, be loving minions of the Lord. Always, take time to assess, re-evaluate our lives and listen for the loving voice of God. I pray.

Mark 14:66-72

No comments:

Post a Comment