Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Father of all

       I like to think as the summer approaches that we each will have some time to set outside and rest. I find sitting at a pool with the sounds of the water very soothing. I also find that a bike ride down our country lanes and farm roads exceptionally peaceful with the sounds and smells of farming, fresh mown hay, manure and fragrant plants. I actually have been known to belt out a few lines from that classic show, Green Acres s I ride along the back roads. ( Scaring the wildlife no doubt! ) Ahh, Farming life is the life for me! Not really, I already worked a job that required getting up before sunrise. I'm retired from that!

         But with the idea, plan or hope of some down time, I want to meditate once again on the words of the Our Father given us today in this passage from Luke. Each sentence, if not each word is something that it would be very wise of us to think about. Right from the word "Father" ( Our Father as we say it ), we are faced with the blunt knowledge that God is not the Creator and lover of us or just me, or 'them'. God is Father of all of us. God makes no distinction. The distinctions are what we make, ours to invent, our to exclude. That is truly something tho think about not only when we have quiet time but as we watch the news and all that is going on round us. We separate, God unites and loves.

          I would challenge each and every one of us to think about each word, each sentence and sentiment.  This gives depth to the two great commandments perhaps even more than the Ten Commandments do.

       For quiet time and contemplation of 'Our Father' , we pray

Luke 11:1-13

He was praying in a certain place, and after he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, ‘Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.’He said to them, ‘When you pray, say:
Father, hallowed be your name.
   Your kingdom come.
 
   Give us each day our daily bread.
 
   And forgive us our sins,
     for we ourselves forgive everyone indebted to us.
   And do not bring us to the time of trial.’

No comments:

Post a Comment