Sunday, December 16, 2018

Simple peace

     Oh how it piles up. The worries, the sorrows. The tasks to be done. The expectations, the show we must go on. The world seems to get heavier and heavier. These holy days, these days of Advent, cards to write presents to buy, for this person, for that person, don't forget so and so. This best time of the year seems to get weighted down to unbearable proportions.

      I can't even count on my birthday that is just around Christmas. My mother died on my birthday and a few years later, one of my brothers as well.  The weight could seem unbearable. For several years this time of year was the heaviest. I am somewhat embarrassed at how I felt though I am sure you might say it is understandable. The truth is I felt less centered, maybe even less appreciative. Distracted?  

       Today's passage gives me secure and steady advice. It is a reminder of how simple it all really is. Rejoice for the gifts you have already been graced with. Rejoice for the love of God who adores you.  Rejoice even for the times, however fleeting, that you have been graced with those you love. If you believe, if you give thanks, you know that the love is not over when someone dies or moves on. The love lives on in our heart and in our actions.  It really is that simple.

         The peace of God surpasses all understanding and all trials we could ever face.

       

Philippians 4:4-7



 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment