Monday, December 17, 2018

It's baby Jesus simple.

       There is something incredibly unencumbered about being a baby. There are no concerns except feed me and perhaps hold me, let me sleep and let me poop.  Simple agenda. As we get older our lives get considerably more complex, especially if you are the parent of that child.  Things to do, places to go, diapers to change, then doctors, schools, plays, sports, your own life of course - and work too!  We won;t even get to stuff we worry about. I caught a glimpse, remembering, watching my grandchildren one day and I could barely keep up.  How did I do it?  Having no choice and being the guy at the top of the responsibility heap helps for sure.  But what of our frenetic lives? Can we slow down, even in this time of peace, hope and love we call Advent?  It seems it would be a no brainer considering that we are celebrating the simplicity and awesome love of a baby, Jesus.

          I know quite a few who seek ways to simplify the holidays, less cards, shopping via Amazon or sending to charities in someones name as a gift.  That can only go so far to alleviate the pace of our already hectic lives.

         One of the things that I noted after leaving my ministry as a Deacon in the Roman church was that my life seemed much more simplified. I rarely had the sleeping Apostle syndrome that is highlighted in today's passage. I didn't fear falling asleep at the wheel as I ran from so many places to so many other places.  I assure you that many things in my life suffered as a result of my ministry. Maybe we are not called to do it all.

         Perhaps it is a suburban disease that has you trying to be a jack of all trades ( and master of none ).  You get caught up in doing it all and that is even worse perhaps if you are a minister. How do we slow down?  If we are preparing for Christmas we are hopefully on the right track to preparation and a change in our life. I would note that it is a good time to emulate the baby Jesus in simplicity and trying to come to grips with what is making our lives so hectic. Do we have to do it all? Can we live a life worth living and not be falling asleep at the wheel? 

             Perhaps we can think about what it is we want to do, what we want to accomplish in life. We should not be like kids in a candy shop who wants it all. We should sit down and decide what it is we want to do, simplify our lives. If focusing on our domestic church (family) is our goal then focus on that. Do not stretch yourself thin in other areas.  The Kingdom of God is perhaps better served by loving and living in a smaller circle that painting a thin veil of love all over the place.

            These are my thoughts as I recall what it is like to try and stay awake while seemingly trying to conquer the world in God's name. Simplify. Simplify. Love to the max!

Luke 22:39-53

 He came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples followed him. When he reached the place, he said to them, ‘Pray that you may not come into the time of trial.’ Then he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, knelt down, and prayed, ‘Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me; yet, not my will but yours be done.’ [[ Then an angel from heaven appeared to him and gave him strength. In his anguish he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down on the ground.]] When he got up from prayer, he came to the disciples and found them sleeping because of grief, and he said to them, ‘Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray that you may not come into the time of trial.’
 While he was still speaking, suddenly a crowd came, and the one called Judas, one of the twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him; but Jesus said to him, ‘Judas, is it with a kiss that you are betraying the Son of Man?’ When those who were around him saw what was coming, they asked, ‘Lord, should we strike with the sword?’ Then one of them struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But Jesus said, ‘No more of this!’ And he touched his ear and healed him.Then Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple police, and the elders who had come for him, ‘Have you come out with swords and clubs as if I were a bandit? When I was with you day after day in the temple, you did not lay hands on me. But this is your hour, and the power of darkness!’

No comments:

Post a Comment