Sunday, April 22, 2018

Unimagineable

Acts 4:5-12

     If you had asked me as a youth what my life would be like at 60 years old, I would never, ever, in a million years have been able to conjure up the reality of what today is. I am not talking about i-phones or electric cars, the incredible options for travel, the variety of restaurants I frequent, Alexa or any material things. I am speaking of real happiness and the fact that I am gay. My life is full, joyous, honest and truly blessed.  Nothing at all of what I might have envisioned.

     On one of my volunteer trips to the Dominican Republic, I had a totally unexpected experience. Well, honestly, I always had unexpected experiences but one stands out at the moment.  On our return from our base in the mountains nears the Haitian border, one of our group got violently ill.  Our compatriot let out what I describe as a 'Vulcan death scream' and then devolved into seizures and total unconsciousness. It was scary as hell.  We arrived in the capital at a friendly house who directed us to the nearest hospital. We all quickly determined that I would stay with our sick friend even though I spoke no Spanish, every one else had to return to the USA. I at least had hospital experience and could be the advocate if only in urging tones and makeshift sign language.  ( That was hysterical I am sure ). The point is, I agreed to stay and help until such time he had recovered at least to the point he'd be allowed to travel and be re-admitted to the United States. I guess they are picky about violently ill people being brought into the country - even if it's a citizen.   That stay was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. Unplanned and totally optional, I signed on. What a gift to me in so many ways. Of course my buddy was a bit grateful as well to me, to so many other staff members and friends and of course, God. An unexpected experience all around.

       As I read today in Acts about the rejected cornerstone, I have no allusions that I am the rejected or that I am even the cornerstone. It does however remind me of how often the most wonderful things in our lives are things that are not planned. Most of life is unseen. We cannot see who we will meet around the next corner, what events will unfold to shape us, challenge us or reward us. It is all mystery. I will repeat often the mantra of my blessed mother-in-law that "man plans, God laughs". It is so very true. I planned a good Catholic life, married a wonderful woman and was blessed with 2 wonderful children. I planned and toiled but also 'went along' with what God placed before me.  Now I am a good Episcopalian boy married to a nice Jewish boy, still with 2 ( adult ) kids and we are blessed with 3 grand kids. We are a Grandpa and Zaide. Never, ever, could I have imagined.  

         One of the tricks of life is to put yourself out there, listen to God's voice ( she does amazing things!  ! ), and hang on for the joys that will fall out in place before us.  That trick is putting yourself out there, listening and cooperating.  You may find the cornerstone of your life is nothing like what you planned, envisioned or thought possible.


The next day their rulers, elders, and scribes assembled in Jerusalem,with Annas the high priest, Caiaphas, John, and Alexander, and all who were of the high-priestly family. When they had made the prisonersstand in their midst, they inquired, ‘By what power or by what name did you do this?’ Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, ‘Rulers of the people and elders, if we are questioned today because of a good deed done to someone who was sick and are asked how this man has been healed, let it be known to all of you, and to all the people of Israel, that this man is standing before you in good health by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead. This Jesus is
“the stone that was rejected by you, the builders;
   it has become the cornerstone.” 
There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among mortals by which we must be saved.’

No comments:

Post a Comment