Monday, April 23, 2018

The appreciation factor

     I have been following along, reading, soaking in and thinking about some recent writings by Richard Rohr on sexuality. It's been very enlightening and blessed which might seem odd. Truthfully though, I too see our sexuality as a holy thing, something to be reverenced and revelled in. And so I found myself again this week, appreciating again, a love of sorts with yet another person.  Not in the sense of my husband, whom I fall deeper in love with with each passing day but seeing and feeling the essence of another and feeling a kinship, a strong attraction and bond.  I can't begin to say how often this has happened in my life.  It has had no bearing on whether someone is male or female though I suppose it is more often men whom I connect with on this level.  Merton, Boswell, Nouwen, Day, many more  and now Toyohiko Kagawa. Toyohiko was a Japanese man who is highlighted as a 'holy person' in today's Liturgy of the Hours in the Episcopal Church. What a magnificent, beautiful, holy soul. I feel honored to merely read about him and his life journey.

      The question I am asking myself is how does one come to be humbled, aware and  open to seeing the beauty in people?  Do other people have the similar feelings? An attraction of souls? An appreciation of a life lived well, vibrantly and lovingly. How can I be present enough in my day to day interactions that I can perhaps catch a glimpse of the beauty of the loving and living souls all around me? How do I keep my eyes open?

         To see someone that is holy and focused, who is the living essence of Jesus renewed and alive in our world is a very special gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment