Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Corporate love

1 Corinthians 12:12-13

     One of things that  loved about talking to my Dad every day was the little tidbits of information that he'd impart. He was well read, a man of faith and he danced to the beat of his own drummer. There are loads of stories there.  Consequently you could usually count on a wide range of topics. Today I recall a simpler class. Dad was amongst other things, an attorney and today's passage from scripture calls to mind the time Dad explained ( in simple terms ) what a corporation was. Basically, he said, a corporation is seen in the eyes of the law as a single entity, a single person. Of course it is composed of many people within that entity, a CEO, a COO, a CFO and many others all doing their part to keep the 'entity' alive and well, healthy, moving forward and prosperous in every way. It really does sound like a person.

     Long before corporations were anything, Paul described the body of Christ in a similar manner. We are all one in the body of Christ. We all have our talents, gifts and functions. We all contribute to the well being and movement of Christ in the world.

      We speak in Lent about becoming more fully human and being the person God created us to be. It really is finding all the nuances of who we are and how best each of us can contribute to the whole of mankind, to the body of Christ. What are your specific talents that will elevate and recognize all the facets of who you are?

       I am a gay man. This is not the totality of what ho I am but it is an integral part.  That gift, like any of our gifts or attributes, should be elevated and used in some manner to serve mankind and exalt God. We should celebrate who we are in every way.  If I was artistic with a keen perception of the world, I should use that talents. If I have an eye for detail and numbers, perhaps I should be a CFO.  My talents and journey have brought me to this blog among other things. Can I show people through this blog that it is entirely possible to be gay and a devoted and loving Christian?  Can I be of comfort to someone who is struggling with their sexuality? Do we have to identify ourselves by a single attribute that God gave us?

     As our Lenten journey continues, as our lives continue, I feel the necessity to recognize all aspects of who I am, not just the ones celebrated by a majority or aspects of who I am that seem counter to everyone else.   We need to recognize every single one of our talents. We need to see the totality of who we are.  We need to appreciate the complexity of who we are and know God created us this way, gifted to us to unwrap over  lifetime and shared with the rest of His body.

      


No comments:

Post a Comment