Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The inheritance

     As a father myself I know what it is like to be proud of one's son or daughter. You kvell inside. It is not usually because they have managed to make peace in the middle east or found a cure for AIDS. The grounds for pride is usually much simpler. Living a good life and being a person of character is grounds in my book for great pride even if I had little to do with the life decisions that make the man (from a son).

     I wonder what the pride would be in case of a man like Donald Trump? Already wealthy by parentage and "loaned" a million dollars, what did he do with the money? Is that the basis for pride? I hear the almost raw sewage that flows from the man's mouth and he thinks it is like liquid gold. Truth be told it is heinous, venomous speech. Is that what you might be proud of a son for? Is the speech and character ( or lack thereof ) overlooked because of the empire created?

      When God looks down on us as sons and daughters, what have we done with our birthright? We are co-inheritors of this planet and of eternal salvation. What have done with that?  Sometimes I think God looks down on us and He weeps at what we do to each other and what we have failed to do (for each other). 

        Am I a trumpeter of God's love and joy or a 'Trump'ist who squanders, scares and sacrifices brothers for power and selfishness?

        What have you done with your inheritance?

Matthew 3:13-17


Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, ‘I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?’ But Jesus answered him, ‘Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfil all righteousness.’ Then he consented. And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.’

No comments:

Post a Comment