Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Both sides of the fence

     I confess to my utter amazement at the self righteousness and arrogance of the far right uber Christian wingnuts (too much?) when they speak for 'Christianity' in condemning me, all other gay people and everyone under the umbrella of LGBTQi. These zealots are so sure that they have interpreted the Bible so perfectly and that God has given them them the task of proclaiming and condemning. 

     I too read holy Scripture and in my own arrogance feel that if I am not quite certain of the translations of key passages used to condemn people like me or others, it at least is not what they say. God is certainly more loving. Jesus lived a life of rebellion, inclusiveness, forgiveness. Jesus railed against the Pharisees  for goodness sake. What more proof do I need?

      It seems there is a bit of arrogance and self righteousness all around, at least for both sides of the religious / political fence if you will.      

     Two phrases though have caught my attention, Bear fruit worthy of repentance and God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham. I have already written about the necessity for us to live what we preach.  That's not to say that I am good at it but I try. I hope I get some credit for that.

      What I think we forget about is that second phrase I re-printed, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham. God does not need us. Really, God does NOT NEED US. 
WE NEED GOD.  God wants more that just about anything to have a relationship with us as 'parent' so to speak. God was willing to die for us but God really does not need us. God could whisk us away and could start all over. But realize God did die for us. God loves us that much.

       What are we to do? Perhaps judge less, keep our ears open more. Maybe we could make that extra effort on both sides of the fence to try to understand more and know, really know that God loves them at least as much as God loves me.

Matthew 3:7-12

But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, ‘You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruit worthy of repentance. Do not presume to say to yourselves, “We have Abraham as our ancestor”; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham. Even now the axe is lying at the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

‘I baptize you with water for repentance, but one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing-fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing-floor and will gather his wheat into the granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.’

No comments:

Post a Comment