Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Lenten journey: a mothers love

Can a woman forget her nursing-child,
   or show no compassion for the child of her womb?
Even these may forget,
   yet I will not forget you.


    One of my more enjoyable reads over the years was a book called Good Goats. As I recall, I was asked to imagine one of the worst things a child could do, then imagine how the mother (or father?) would feel. Would they abandon their child? And so, if an earthly mother could have such love for a child, how much more would our creator feel? I mean our creator imagined each of us and created each and every one of us, purpose built for this world. When we stumble or fall, does God not forgive us? Do we hold fast to some ancient philosophy wherein God sets in waiting so that when we stumble God is ready to pounce and punish?  I think not, not at all.

     Although every one has a different experience with their own mom or even their vision of a mom, the nurturing, loving embrace, the forgiveness and constancy is always part and parcel of the ideal. Is God the ideal or better than the ideal?

      It seems to me God is always laying in wait but not to pounce and punish. God is laying in wait, but to pick us up, hold us when we cry, forgive us when needed, promote us and celebrate us.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment