Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Sooner rather than later

John 16:16-24

           One of the quirky things about the religion of my youth , and perhaps several more, is the concept that one can pray to loved ones who have passed and Saints that lived long ago.  To some, speaking to the dead might seem odd at the get go but as with many concepts, (Roman) Catholicism has a rationalization or logical reasoning why it's correct. In this particular case, I bought the goods. Basically, since God is timeless and since all our deceased 'live'' in God's presence we are free to speak to anyone we choose. Furthermore, since they are timeless (that includes our past and our future), these dead people can be spoken to and in some manner perhaps even affect change in our lives. That is, intercede in some way. Who knows.

              So what's with all this dead, past, future, timeless God stuff, what does that mean to us? I cannot say for everyone but there are a whole lot of people out there who want what they want and they want it right away. Madison Avenue does a fine job of inducing want and then convinces us "why shouldn't you have it right now?"  You deserve it! Waiting is not an art or a virtue for Madison Avenue.

              They say Saint Monica waited,  what 17 years?, for the conversion of her son Augustin. Can you imagine waiting 17 years for something? I knew that there was something missing in my life, something unfulfilled or wrong with my life. I  could not identify it until I was 50 or so when I realized I am gay. Wow. Can you imagine waiting for 50 years for such an epiphany? I now feel whole and happy. I have been immensely blessed. How long are we willing to wait for the 'perfect man' or for whatever else it is we seek?

          When Jesus tells his disciples his cryptic words about "a little while", what are they to think? Our reference to time is certainly not God's reference to time. Could that have some clue as to what Jesus was saying? When asked about the end of the world, Jesus said even he did not know that, it was only for the Father to know. We could wind up waiting our whole life for one thing or another. After all, patience is in fact a virtue. We need to exercise some patience or learn to be patient. No matter what we may deserve it is not necessarily for us to serve (ourselves) in spite of what Madison Avenue may have to say.

          If we somehow manage to muster the patience of Monica, it is important to know that in all that waiting and in the 50 years I waited we shouldn't just be sitting on the bench as if we are waiting for a train to arrive. We are called to live and love at every moment in our lives. We may  find that in the loving we do we may find the answer to our prayers sooner rather than later.
‘A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me.’ Then some of his disciples said to one another, ‘What does he mean by saying to us, “A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me”; and “Because I am going to the Father”?’ They said, ‘What does he mean by this “a little while”? We do not know what he is talking about.’ Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, so he said to them, ‘Are you discussing among yourselves what I meant when I said, “A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me”? Very truly, I tell you, you will weep and mourn, but the world will rejoice; you will have pain, but your pain will turn into joy. When a woman is in labour, she has pain, because her hour has come. But when her child is born, she no longer remembers the anguish because of the joy of having brought a human being into the world. So you have pain now; but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. On that day you will ask nothing of me. Very truly, I tell you, if you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment