Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Distractions

Luke 9:2-6

          Several years ago I had to go to an auto parts store for something     
and when I got there I realized I didn't have my cell phone. I nearly panicked. This was long before Facebook, texting or any other social media mania. This was strictly a phone. Even so, I apparently got extremely attached to it and wondered what I would do if something happened. The reaction was so strong I still remember it today.

            Five years ago my husband and I went to France on our honeymoon. We spent a few days exploring the countryside. Having visited Chartre, we were headed to a small Inn outside of Tours when my phone died. My GPS enabled phone was our guide and the recharger apparently broke in the luggage somewhere over the Atlantic.  I'll admit that panic tried to intervene but happiness and clearer heads prevailed. We knew our general direction and we set out with roundabout signs as our guide. We wold drive in circles at those roundabouts until we determined the correct direction and then proceed to the next roundabout, again circling until we decided which way to go. In the end the 3 hour drive took 5 but we had a grand old time. It was an adventure and it reminded me of my youth when we thought nothing of taking off on a road trip with virtually no planning - with no cell phones at all!

              A few days ago I had the extreme pleasure to snorkel and swim with some manatees in Florida. It is clearly a big business shuttling tourists to the area or renting kayaks so you can shuttle yourself to the area where the manatees frequent. My husband and I watched as one Mom paddled feverishly as her daughters (teenagers) sat oblivious to their surroundings attached to their i-phones. What does our future look like? I am scared. 

              I mention all this because this short passage today speaks of taking nothing on their journey, no bag, o bread and no money. Today I wonder if "no cell phone" would be added to that list. I'm honestly not sure what the answer to that question would be. All of this speaks to our society and our attachments.  I am certain we can see that God is often displaced by worship of the 'things' we simply must have, things that we never seem to put down,things that have our attention perhaps even at the expense of face to face human interraction. It is a bit sad.

              On our Lenten journey I have called myself and others to be more human, to get in touch with who they are and be the best of who they are. Part of that call is to set have the time set aside and to be free of attachments that can distract us.  

               My trip to rural France was an adventure par excellence with just my husband and I depending on each other and the goodness of the local residents. It was a pure adventure and a heck of a lot of fun. We got  to see each other and explore each other  and the people without distraction. People are always the most important thing and getting to know yourself ( without distractions ) is key.

and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal. He said to them, ‘Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money—not even an extra tunic. Whatever house you enter, stay there, and leave from there. Wherever they do not welcome you, as you are leaving that town shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.’ They departed and went through the villages, bringing the good news and curing diseases everywhere.




No comments:

Post a Comment