Thursday, October 23, 2014

Sinner and Saint

Hebrews 4:12-16

          I am a sinner. Who knows the extent of my sins?  Sometimes I think I am not fully aware of the extent of my sinfulness.  I could roll out a litany of sins like I was a child in the confessional but that is passe. What is more modern and more mature is to think about how I have strayed and why I have strayed.  Who cares how many times I did what? What is it that I have done and why?

          Selfishness, arrogance, greed, lust, vanity, hatefulness. I could go on. I am fully aware of my shortcomings, past and present. I am not wearing them like a necklace to be showed off and be proud of. What do I do with this self knowledge? Do I even dare approach the altar of God or speak to God in such a state? Ever?

           First of all, this passage points out we do not have a saviour, a high priest, who is unable to sympathize. Jesus was fully human in every way. Perhaps the stories of scripture have glossed over certain aspects of Jesus. Perhaps some aspects have been intentionally omitted to suit an agenda or an approved philosophy. Whatever, Jesus was fully human. Any person worth their salt knows that Jesus therefore understood everything, and I mean everything about being human. From anger and love, to sexuality and solitude, Jesus was there. It is from this knowledge that we know God understands all that we are and all the mistakes and foibles we have entered into.  From the greatest intentions and biggest lies we tell ourselves, God understands and still loves us.

            Scripture says to approach the throne with boldness. It is boldness born of self respect and humbleness combined into one being that God so graciously created in each of us. I know there is a careful balance that must be drawn between beating ourselves up over our mistakes and mistakenly thinking we can do no wrong. In fact, some people seem to feel that an acknowledgement, public or private, of wrongdoing is detrimental to their psychological well being. It just ain't so.

           Only by acknowledging our humanity and our divinity, each to the full, can we approach the throne of God boldly without being disrespectful to God that loves us '"with reckless abandon" as I say.

          Yes I am a sinner. Find out the way, try to sin no more and by all means approach the altar of God boldly as a beloved child of God.

Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And before him no creature is hidden, but all are naked and laid bare to the eyes of the one to whom we must render an account. 
Since, then, we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.


No comments:

Post a Comment