Friday, October 24, 2014

Martha, Martha, Martha and the high life

Luke 10:38-42


          There is a very pleasant woman at my work, Kathy, always friendly, a smile for everyone. As it turns out she is married to a preacher of one sort or another. I know him as well, he's a good man. Kathy and I started our friendship with "the word for the day" when one of us would come up with a word and we would think about it all day. Sort of a day long meditation if you will. Kathy sees my postings on FaceBook and knows many of the outings my husband and I go on. Trips, dinners, hikes and the gamut of our social life. She often says we are  "living the high life".  Perhaps it's true but I do not for a moment take it for granted. The fact is, we are not living beyond our means and we are quite frugal. We often do things that seem (are) exciting but cost little if no money. The excitement and pleasure comes from each other. We enjoy each others presence, companionship and love.  That elevates the ordinary to the extraordinary.  We know when it is time to work and we know balance is knowing when it is time to play. We make the time and effort.  Anyone can do what we do. I have told Kathy that too.

            Todays' reading seems timeless. I can see the same scenario played out today. People working hard at everything that's important and things that "must get done".  The end result is no time to do the truly important things. Time with God. Time with your lover (spouse?). Time with the kids. Time with yourself.  The scenario of Martha is so real.  Mary is the wise one and Jesus says she will not be deprived of it. Good for Mary.

            I often tell people they need to make time to pray. The truth is, they need to make time for many things and put aside things that are just not really that important.  My husband often quotes Tess McGill ( Melanie Griffith ) in Working Girl when she says "fringe time is crucial".  Using your time wisely is a skill that allows you to accomplish so much more and it isn't chores I am speaking of. That "extra" time you make is time that can be well spent with God, on yourself, with your spouse or kids.  Hubby has it right.

          In the meantime, all you Martha's out there, wake up and smell the coffee. You too can live the high life.  

Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, ‘Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.’ But the Lord answered her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.’

No comments:

Post a Comment