Monday, August 11, 2014

Filled with desire

1 Peter 4:1-2

           What are human desires? When I think of desire, I may desire o to do good. I may desire to have a sweet ride and a nice home. I may desire the newest i-phone or some other such object. But most commonly in my mind are objects of desire, as in heavenly bodies.

          We were at Fire Island yesterday and there is no shortage of scantily clad so called perfect bodies. I could see someone desiring any number of the people that troll......err, strolled along the beach. I suppose as an exercise in apologetics I would want to clarify between natural desires in moderation versus out of control ones. It's normal and right that we should want to have our one true love and not be alone. However it would be excessive and wrong to wage a sexual war where partners are expendable and sought out for our own fleeting pleasure. That kind of desire shows that hedonism is your true god. 

             I would even go further to say that having desire for your spouse or beloved one is a normal confection created by God. When a loving couple shares willingly and openly the gifts that God created, that to me seems quite beautiful. This kind of desire is one where you elevate the one true God and cooperate with our nature to love.

              Someone once told me that that you can casual sex but there is no sex that is casual. While the desire to love is good and natural, it is a sharing of such intimacy and a giving of our innermost vulnerabilities and desires that it cannot by its very nature be casual even though it is good and holy.

            Can I argue for a decriminalization of sex and at the same time argue that desire and sex itself is a totally awesome gift from God as part of our very nature that should be expressed freely, just not as part of some rabid desire for immediate gratification? Something to ponder as human beings.


Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same intention (for whoever has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin), so as to live for the rest of your earthly life no longer by human desires but by the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment