Monday, July 28, 2014

The litany of graces

Luke 2:8-14

            When you think of major world events, someone may be heard to say "where were you when...." Of course the image is quite vivid in your mind. Whether it was the JFK assassination, the first steps on the moon or on 9-11, you tend to recall such big events. These are all of course temporal events.  It isn't often that we recall such events as our Baptism, first communion or confirmation. It becomes a string in an endless stream of religious events and is hardly recalled for any great consequence. However, I am sure that the shepherds made note of the angel appearing to them.

             But for the rest of us, do we have any great recollections of anything that makes our souls burn with fervor for the Lord? Are we aware on a daily basis of how much we are loved and what God does for us?  Usually we don't unless it is Sunday and the minister gives a rousing homily. Joyfully, I do recall a few homilies that still burn in my heart. I am ever grateful to Father Tom who etched the knowledge of God's eternal love and especially forgiveness into my soul. By the same token, I also recall going to church and squirming as fire and brimstone came down on me for being gay.  I was in the middle of the pew and there was little chance of escape. The vitriol, hatred and lies made me sick. I never returned to that church again. 

           I wonder how different our lives would be if we chose to recall on a daily basis some of the wonderful gifts and graces of our lives. Perhaps we don't feel blessed. As my spin instructor would say, ' if you don't  think you have something to be grateful for, check your pulse!'. That's pretty fundamental though. I am sure we all could think of many graces n our lives. I have a litany of things I am thankful for and I am not shy about telling myself or others.

           The world is a much poorer place if all we can recall is the bad moments in our lives. It's time we celebrate the joys and gifts.  Start right now, what's on your list?

     


In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid; for see—I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, who is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger.’ And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying, 
‘Glory to God in the highest heaven,
   and on earth peace among those whom he favours!’

No comments:

Post a Comment