Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Simon's calling

Matthew 27:32-44

            I'd like to relate two short stories about myself that happened many years ago. In one experience I was parking my car and as I pulled in I noticed a sobbing woman. I couldn't help myself but to ask if she was ok. She had locked her keys in her car and was frantic that she wouldn't be at the bus stop in time to get her young child off the bus. I sent the woman into the store to call for the police (pre-celll phones). In a moment of clarity, I took out the large locker I had in the back of my Jeep. It was filled with 4 wheeling 'stuff' but I could use it to stand on. I stood on the box placed next to her car, took my closed umbrella and slipped it through the pop up sun roof and pushed the unlock door button from up above.  The woman came out of the store and was ecstatic and gave me a tremendous, tearful hug and quickly left.  In another scene, at a totally different time (but I think it may have been the same store) I watched as a grown woman berated and yelled at her elderly mother. I don't recall why she was yelling but could there be any good reason? I still have some guilt over not intervening in that case of 'granny bashing'. It was shameful.

          We are presented in life various situations in which we are specifically called upon or presented with opportunities to get involved in some way.  Many of us heed the call and get involved. Very often we will have a pet project and embrace it for a lifetime. The rotary club, Habitat for humanity, volunteering in a soup kitchen, acting as a aid to an elderly neighbor, tutoring or whatever.  Sometimes however we are presented with situations where we recognize a need but we decide to withdraw. We see the need and we shrink away.

        Simon did not have much of a choice did he?  We certainly have a choice. I recall the passage of Matthew 25:37 when the righteous say to Jesus, ' when did we see you hungry and not feed you? When did we see you thirsty and not give you a drink'?  Jesus is quite clear that we are all brothers and sisters.

         Do we value the lives of the Israelis over those of the Palestinians? We are all created by and loved by God. One God. We are all brothers and sisters. I am sure God is weeping at what we are doing to each other. Worse, we are doing it in His name. May God have mercy on us.

         Many people are aware of the miscarriage of justice done to the gay community. How many people do you know that are straight allies? We are content to see a problem and if it does not affect us directly, we feel free to withdraw or turn our backs, even if we do so casually.

        We certainly cannot take the weight of the world on our shoulders. W cannot commit to every cause but that is not reason to let injustices occur. It is no excuse for our silence. If Jesus is clear about any judgements being meted out, it is not helping our fellow man in time of need.

         

     

As they went out, they came upon a man from Cyrene named Simon; they compelled this man to carry his cross. And when they came to a place called Golgotha (which means Place of a Skull), they offered him wine to drink, mixed with gall; but when he tasted it, he would not drink it. And when they had crucified him, they divided his clothes among themselves by casting lots; then they sat down there and kept watch over him. Over his head they put the charge against him, which read, ‘This is Jesus, the King of the Jews.’

Then two bandits were crucified with him, one on his right and one on his left. Those who passed by derided him, shaking their heads and saying, ‘You who would destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross.’ In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes and elders, were mocking him, saying, ‘He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down from the cross now, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he wants to; for he said, “I am God’s Son.” ’ The bandits who were crucified with him also taunted him in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment