Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Getting to the crux of the matter

Matthew 23:1-12

          Last night I played some great tennis with a few of our neighbors and at the end we always socialize a bit (as we catch our breath and check our pulse). The subject came up of my writing this blog. I said it was about gay spirituality which as it turns out is really more about just being spiritual since gay people are, shockingly, simply people like everyone else. Of course that is a bit naive because the gay community has been marginalized and has some common experiences that the straight community is not as familiar with and that affects our approach to spirituality and what gifts we have to offer to God.

        One of the common threads it was noted (by my husband!) is that it is often a rant against the (Roman) Catholic church. I will confess that it is a challenge for me but they seem such easy targets.  I myself am a voice not unlike Harriet Beecher Stowe who railed against inequity and slavery. I rail against the inequity of the church of my youth as well as how badly the gay community is treated.  I would never say I am anything compared to the likes of her but I call out and say my piece. 

         There are fundamental truths that people of all ages have spoken out about. It is often packaged up with religion and rules and rubrics but there is a fundamental truth that resonates with people as true. So the likes of Harriet Beecher Stowe, Martin Luther, Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandi and many others were successful in their mission in part because they spoke truth against power.  That resonates with people.

         I like to think I resonate withing my community. Although we are gay and often chastised and vilified by society and mainline churches, we too are called as children of God, equally loved and with a message unique to us. This is the message I write about.  It is vitally important that we know this fundamental truth and own it in our hearts.

            


Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, ‘The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat; therefore, do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as they do, for they do not practise what they teach. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift a finger to move them. They do all their deeds to be seen by others; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long. They love to have the place of honour at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues, and to be greeted with respect in the market-places, and to have people call them rabbi. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all students. And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father—the one in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted.

1 comment:

  1. Dan,

    #gratitude for sharing this. In the spirit of your reflection, today our Church commemorates not only Harriet Beecher Stowe but also -- in Holy Women, Holy Men – human rights champion and queer saint Pauli Murray, a renowned civil rights pioneer, feminist, author, lawyer and the first black woman ordained as an Episcopal priest. Hallelujah and amen!
    > http://www.jesusinlove.blogspot.com/2014/07/pauli-murray-queer-saint-who-stood-for.html

    ReplyDelete