Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The things we pray for


1 Peter 3:14-18

           I cannot escape that Christmas is fast approaching, seasonal music is heard from every corner... of my office. As I also prepare for Channukah and 8 presents for my most wonderful husband, I am also pondering the questions from the kids. "What do you want Dads?" 

            This passage reminded me that things do not always turn out the way want or pray. In many if not all instances, it is how we respond to what happens that shows we are people of faith. Sometimes we will suffer for doing what is right. So it made me think of different perspectives and how we all can look at things differently. What I might 'ask' for Christmas might not be the same as someone else. Ask for wisdom and faith? That might be me. Ask for a new car? well, that might also be me. In truth, I would prefer the wisdom and faith because I have laready discovered that material goods do not bring happiness. So there are different perspectives on what we might pray for.  My friend is praying her daughter gets into a rehab facility somewhat close to home so she can visit. Another friend, dealing with the senseless death of a close friend in a truck accident, is asking for inner peace and understanding. Most kids would ask for a x-box or a new bike.  I would have asked for a new toy car when I was a kid. Some things never change. 

           As we grow and hopefully mature, we know what things are truly worth asking for, and when I say 'ask', I mean pray. When we do get a gift of some kind, of any kind, we may easily say: that it's not what I wanted, it is the answer to a prayer or show indifference. It is a matter of perspective and wisdom.  One person gets fired and it's a curse. Another person sees it as an opportunity. It reminds me of somone who wins the lottery. One person might leave their spouse and be on the next flight to Tahiti. Another winner might keep working and use the money to enrich others' lives and help the poor.   

          How are your prayers answered? What do you pray for? How do you see the cup? Half full? Half empty?

But even if you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear, and do not be intimidated, but in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be ready to make your defence to anyone who demands from you an account of the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence. Keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who abuse you for your good conduct in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if suffering should be God’s will, than to suffer for doing evil. For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, in order to bring you to God. He was put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit,

No comments:

Post a Comment