Saturday, September 21, 2013

No backsies!


2 Timothy 3:14-17

           I was at a lecture not too long ago and there was time for some reflection and interaction. I don't recall what prompted me to speak but I do recall what I said. I was referencing how much God loves us. I said that when I taught young children in religion classes, one of the things that I tried to convey was how much God loves them. My desire was to get them to know deep inside how much God loves them so that when asked "does God love you?" they would answer YES! as quickly as they would answer with their own name when asked "what is your name? It's about knowing that God loves you intensely, thoroughly and completely in every cell and molecule of your body and with such surety that no matter what happens in life, you know God is with you.

            I attended 20 years of Catholic school. Grammar school, 8; High school, 4: University, 5 and Seminary, 3. This doesn't include the myriad other courses and programs I have attended. It is no wonder I used to say I was a recovering Catholic. I was thoroughly indoctrinated. For all the faults I could mention of the Roman Catholic church, I have to say that they did make me realize that God loves me in every fiber of my being. I know it, I feel it, I can visualize it. This was accomplished by a whole host of means and by some truly wonderful people. But the fact remains, I know that God loves me.

            Fast forward in my life to the day I was able to utter those words, I am gay. It was an awesome day, a powerful day and it put me at great peace and gave me a feeling of wholeness in spite of the drama and turmoil that ensued. The church that helped me know that God loves me now considered me "intrinsically disordered". The Pope said some very beautiful things these past few days and spoke truth that has been longed to be heard by the faithful and the world. I suspect my thoughts that he truly is a holy man are correct. However, his pastoral words do not change doctrine or the actions of the hierarchy that make priests and parishioners live false lives to try and maintain their sexual wholeness and faith at the same time. I had to leave to maintain self respect and true wholeness. So in spite of his beautiful words, the church has not changed and I, and countless others are still considered "intrinsically disordered". Gotta leave my friends, gotta leave. The church is falling in on itself.

             So you have the condemnation of the church and the fact that I know Jesus loves me. What to do? I know God loves me, there are no backsies. There is no going back and saying, well God really doesn't love you, you are a sinner, of the devil and intrinsically disordered.  I also know God made me the way I am. It is in the context of my gayness and all the other attributes and talents that I am graced with that I need to attain wholeness and salvation.

            I you are gay, you need to know that God does indeed love you immensely, completely and without reservation. God loves every fiber of you. Further, it is your gayness, if you will, that will help lead you to salvation. It is a part of you that God made that should be be appreciated and expressed. It is not a call to promiscuity, rudeness or bitchiness. Being gay can be expressed in those ways but they are not of themselves what makes a person gay. If it was, there would be many promiscuous straight men and women who would be gay.

             Quite simply, enjoy being gay and know that God loves you. No backsies.


But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it, and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment