Sunday, July 21, 2013

The better slice


Luke 10:38-42

          I this a slice of life or what? The exact same thing happens today all the time. I was at work a few weeks ago and coworker commented about how great my life was. My Facebook page is filled with a travelogue of places I go, restaurants we go to and foods that we eat. I have pictures of my grandchildren and myriad other activities. My coworker almost seemed jealous. I explained that yes, I am very, very happy and truly blessed. But I noted, all the things we do are carefully planned by putting aside the money, thinking about where we go and doing things we really like to do. I followed with thought that it was something that she could do as well if she decided that is what she wanted.

            I suppose that is the crux of things. What do you want to do?  Climb Mount Everest? Well that would be rather impractical for me but rest assured, if that is what I really wanted to do for some reason, it could be done with adequate planning and commitment.  Once you decide what it is you want to do, you are halfway there. The rest is personal resolve and planning. I really have no interest at all in climbing Mount Everest.

        In the midst of the deciding what it is you wan to do, there is a very important ingredient, two actually. One is a to discern if it is something God would want you to do. Is God calling you to do this for some reason. That is a very difficult task sometimes. Was God calling me to travel to the Dominican Republic to help the ministries of the Church in remote mountain villages and in the city? I decided that it was something God wanted me to do and I am all the richer for it. In spite of illnesses and being robbed, I had a wonderful time. I mention that because even 'bad things' cannot deter you from having a good time if you see the hand of the Lord in everything you do. It was a truly blessed time.

        The second ingredient to having that magical life is recognizing that you deserve it and thus should work towards that goal. You have to allow yourself the time and allow yourself to enjoy life.  Exotic locations and special food are not requisites. Hiking in a park and sharing a meal with good friends and family is as glorious as any trip. Of course you have to open your eyes to such things. How many people have not enjoyed a golden opportunity simply because they did not step forward to enjoy an opportunity. What if you never discern and never step out of your comfort zone?

         This might seem like a column for Food and Travel magazine but in reality it is a treatise on what God wishes for each and every one of us. That is, the absolute best. To some that means at the expense of others and that is completely wrong. God does not want anyone to have everything at the expense of others. God loves us all - equally. But we are in a world to be discovered. We are in a world filled with God's revelations and love.

          No matter what we are doing, no matter what we are called to do or want to do, there is no reason not to have a good time. There is no reason not to see God's hand in all we do and give thanks. Whether we are 'sitting at the Lord's feet' listening intently or serving the Lord in some fashion, we should recognize our self worth, respect what we are doing and enjoy life to the full. 
      

Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home.
She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying.
But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me."
But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things;
there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."

No comments:

Post a Comment