Saturday, July 20, 2013

I'm just asking


Luke 11:5-10

         I have struggled with my weight almost my entire life. I was told that as a baby I was fed a special diet because I couldn't keep anything down and was very slow to gain weight. Perhaps then with the law of averages I would be OK - not really. I was horribly overweight as a teen. It's no wonder that a kid going through puberty would have such an issue but I was also suppressing being gay. It is a troublesome time for most.  I recall praying fervently after having read this passage as a youth that I would wake up the next morning skinny and clear faced. It would be a miracle of course but isn't God capable of such? I woke up quite dejected saying to myself , OK, where do you go from here?

         I had an immature faith and an unrealistic vision of how God acts (or seeming doesn't act) in this world.

         Yet here this passage is again, telling us that if we ask we shall receive and that if a friend will do for you, certainly God would do less and in my mind, certainly more. Much more.

         Asking for things and expecting them to be presented to you even by a friend is wrong on so many levels. It displays a bit of arrogance and self centeredness that places you on a pedestal dangerously close to God when we have no business being there. 

           If we have the presence of mind and focus to pray constantly about anything it surely will happen though. Why?  Because our thoughts precede action. If we think it, we will begin to make it happen ourselves.  God who is always with us and on our side will help by loving support, insight and channeling us in the right direction. I believe this to be so. In addition, when we are so very focused, we emanate positive energy that 'infects' or influences others who facilitate our wishes. Seems all very cosmic but it's true. Further, in God's effort to maintain our free will, He remains with us at all times but does not take the reigns. It reminds me of the converse which was recently featured on a local church billboard which was "Don't give the Devil a ride, he always insists on driving". Cute.

           My father once told me that if I have one true friend in life I should consider myself truly blessed. His simple definition was someone, who, if called at 3 am with no explanation, would come to your aid no matter what, no questions asked. That stands pretty true in my mind to this very day.  God is certainly your best friend, ally and supporter. As I often say, God loves us with reckless abandon. He will insist on NOT driving but he is always with us and always on our side.

         Ask and you will receive, especially if you do your very personal best to help it along.

And he said to them, ‘Suppose one of you has a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say to him, “Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; for a friend of mine has arrived, and I have nothing to set before him.” And he answers from within, “Do not bother me; the door has already been locked, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything.” I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, at least because of his persistence he will get up and give him whatever he needs.
‘So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment