Monday, March 16, 2020

Tree bark and body positive

Luke 24:32

       I started a new novel yesterday, something that has become quite commonplace in these years that mark my retirement. I have many interests and reading for pleasure is one of them especially after years of detailed religious treatises and volumes of medical journals and continuing education. The latter never really made my heart burn the way today's passage relates. 

      In my current book I came across the word "cachondo" which in the book, the protagonist does not even know what it means. I certainly did not. It is later revealed to mean "Funny.Rowdy.Sexy.In heat". Basically, horny. It seems to me that is something that people are often passionate about.

         A part of my 40-day devotional, this passage today has the author, our leader or muse, speaks about the beauty of a tree bark. As an outdoorsy person, I have often looked at trees in wonder and appreciation. I will confess that I have never quite shared the enthusiasm or 'the burning of the heart' over any particular tree bark. And so, I begin to think about the things that make my heart burn and whether I burn over simply the superficial.  As a member of the gay community there are often unrealistic standards set for the body beautiful. It is so superficial and I think a standard whose time has come - to be edited, curtailed or deleted. What is it we wish our hearts to burn over - simply the superficial?

          I was thrilled to see that Abercrombie finally has embraced this idea even to some small extent with the addition of new models that shun it's body shaming past with body positive models. ( You can google it )  Perhaps a bit more like my husband and myself who have seemingly perfected that 'dad-bod' that seems to have gained some acceptance.

          I am going to confess right here, and in Lent, that what makes my heart burn 
(yikes, yes, horny) is my husband. He has it all, the intelligence, the personality, decency, witt and a great dad bod. Yep, he makes my heart burn. While the rest of the world burns for eight pack abs and the like, I snicker to myself because I have got the real deal, the entire package, the best there is. I have the tree and the bark and I know it!

         This may seem too sex oriented for a Lenten reflection but really it is spot on. First sex is a magnificent gift that God created and made an intricate part of us. It is a part we should revel in. But also, know that in more general terms and especially in Lent, we should perhaps look at the world in more than superficial terms. 

          Is it possible that in this time in the world where we are all sequestering and placing ourselves in voluntary quarantine, we can take the time finally to sit and look around at the beauty in the bark all around us? It seems Abercrombie is coming around and that is a huge plus.  What sights and gifts are right in front of you that you may simply dismiss from familiarity or busyness?

          From Dad bods to bark, let us look, see and appreciate.


No comments:

Post a Comment