Tuesday, November 5, 2019

The sure thing

       If you had asked me about my future at the age of 40 or even 50, I certainly would not have imagined being married to "another gentleman" as the Roman church said in such an indicting manner in my dismissal letter. I noted in my response that not only had I attempted to marry another gentleman but succeeded, doing so legally and Sacramentally. Take that!  For the purposes of this reflection, I am focusing on the certainty with which we know things. I never would have imagined such bliss, happiness and completeness in God from embracing being gay and celebrating that, elevating that, by my marriage to my husband.  There may have been a few that said "it's about time" when I came out but it was totally lost on me for decades and dare I note, my wife as well. What are your certainties? Any sure bets?

       The invitation to God's table is highlighted today. What I am sad to say is that I am painfully aware of how many of us, right, left, and people of all different denominations seem certain who the real flamers will be. Oh, I am not talking about being gay now, I mean those we are certain will be turned away at the pearly gates to the unquenchable fires of damnation. From "God hates fags" to the self righteous hypocrites of the conservative right to the liberal loving religious left, there are many that are certain they are saved and the 'other' are going to hell in a hand basket. Certain, absolutely certain. There is certainty, arrogance, judgment, hatred and even a snootiness that I'll be saved and you're not. Nanna nanna nah-nah!  

     History is replete with things we were certain of though. As a Roman Catholic growing up I was certain of such things as the Assumption and Limbo. I was certain of what was a mortal sin, a venial sin and who was not being saved. We were the 'one true church' after all.  That same church was certain that the earth was the center of the universe. I had to be so, it bolstered all they believed as true and right. How long did they hold onto that in the face of revealed truth? When was the certainty of Limbo abandoned?

       Just so you know, God dos not work that way I think. The Spirit is alive and well and revealing truths all the time, at least as we can understand them - or as we are willing to understand them. One of the joys of creation is how God reveals Herself to us simply by looking around. Again, if we care to actually look and see.  We discover there is rarely a black and white but shadows of gray, white, black, browns and a rainbow of diversity in creation. 

        As part of creation, we too are a part of that diversity. Mother nature holds no bounds, respects no sociological boundaries man has created.  We really need to be careful of our edicts, certainties, assumptions and judgments.  Many, actually most times, these sure things come around to bite us in the ass, and not in a good way.

            For openness to change, less certainty on our part, to placing value on diversity and openness to God's plans for every person, I pray.

Luke 14:15-24

No comments:

Post a Comment