Tuesday, September 24, 2019

A circuitous walk

       I am posting no reading for this morning. I will tell you that the readings from the 'hours' this morning as well as the story of holy woman, Anna Ellison Butler Alexander remind me of the holiness that each our journey's hold. Further, I suppose it is the fact that the journey's that we travel in life, our path to holiness and our missions are so broad and unexpected. Quite honestly, beyond our wildest dreams and even expectations for those willing to accept the unexpected.

       I do love it when a plan comes together and everything goes just as we wanted it to.  The point though is, life rarely goes as planned and those surprises in life are what makes life so rich. When I think of some of the greatest times and the boldest events and joyous moments of my own life, none of them were things that I had planned for. I am not sure I could have planned for them, I am so limited. God is the omniscient one.

       When I was thinking about blessed Anna this morning, there could not have been a plan, she was living in a time when her parents had only received emancipation a few years earlier. It is all so hard to believe that we behave the way we have and still act in some many errant ways. That did not stop Anna from listening to God and walking a journey that led here in paths I am quite certain she never had imagined.  Such is how life is especially for those who are open to it.

          What has me held in awe this morning is just how imperfect life is, how many wrong steps that I have made and how magnificent and joyous life is none the less. Is it my own pie in the sky attitude that makes it so?  Certainly my life right now bears no resemblance to anything I could have imagined as a teen. How could anyone give up on something that they don't even have the vision to see? 

       Our path to wholeness and holiness is quite the unpolished gem. We are not even aware the gem we hold in ourselves as we go on though life. I am thankful to all those nuns ( sadly not so much the Priests ) that inculcated a sense of self worth and holiness that gave me the comfort to allow life to unfold and trust in God's love. That is something I wish I could give everyone. I wish I could let every troubled LGBTQ teen that assuredness. I wish I could hold the hand of every closeted athlete and celebrity. How can you assure people that they are loved and to trust that 'it gets better' even in the face of life that seems far from perfect and possibly quite unfair? Anna did so, so can we.

        The fact remains, no matter what, that our paths are quite circuitous but always accompanied by a God that loves us and sees better than we ever could, to see just how glorious a creation we are. That is what we must trust in, know you are loved. Know you were created intentionally just as you are, a gift to humanity. 

       For trusting in our journey, even when we cannot see beyond the hill in front of us, I pray this day.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment