Thursday, August 1, 2019

The Johnson list - long but not distinguished.

       Once again we find Jesus railing against the Temple elite, the pharisees and the self righteous leaders that seem fit to make us twice as fit for hell, as they are themselves. Jesus speaks about empty traditions and religious laws that circumvent God's intent of love. It's all right there in this passage. Way down at the bottom of today's passage from Mark is a list of sins that we might want to be especially mindful of. They all seem quite timely. This list seems like a recipe to cure our present dilemmas of how to live. Perhaps more precisely, how we should repent from our current political and moral morass.


theft - I'd say there are very few of us that hide a secret that we routinely go out and steal things. We are not car jackers. We don't break and enter to steal someone else's flat screen TV;  we don't pocket jewelry while browsing, con the elderly out of money. Sure that happens, but for most of us we can feel confident we are not abrogating the 8th commandment, at least not in the most literal of terms. Have we perhaps though become so numb to what we as society allow that we may steal something as in the same vein we might tell a 'white lie'?  Stationary from work? a refund we are not entitled to? Someone's mistake we don't fess up to that benefits us? Returning an item to a store after we have used it?  That all seems like stealing to me. Are we willing to look closely at ourselves and our lives?


adultery - another classic, the seventh commandment. Most of us are not like our current President who is perhaps a serial cheater and who had extramarital affairs while his third wife was pregnant; or who cheated on #2 by starting up with #3. Most of us find that amoral even if somehow we rationalize it to all as President. ( I cannot ). Adultery is an abrogation of the intimate relationship of marriage. It isn't just physical, it also pertains to the emotional and even spiritual aspects to marriage. So perhaps we have not been as continuously and totally faithful as we could have been, eh? We like to focus on just a physical act as adultery but it  really is so much more. Jesus said that even looking and committing adultery in your mind is just as bad as actually entering into a physical relationship. Personally I don't carry this to the extreme that I cannot look at a guy and not say 'mighty fine' or 'Very nice'. But I do not allow myself to enter into a mental scenario  where I am visualizing what that nice body might be good for. Then I am not only approaching adultery but also a sense of fornication. 


wickedness -  There is a term that was popularized by the show Avenue-Q and that is the German word Schadenfreude, happiness at the misfortune of others. I don't see most people going out of there way to see people suffer or to actually cause someones pain. That is wicked. I do however know that I  myself get a bit of pleasure when I see someone get their comeuppance.  Of course that is based on my judgment of what justice is, not God's. Perhaps that's the rub here. I am certainly willing to be happy at your pain if I think you deserve it.  But is that right? Isn't that a bit wicked? Or is that wicked with a sly smile that we might invoke?  Where do we end though with such wickedness?  Again, food for thought.


licentiousness -  it is amazing to me how many items on this list seem to come back to our President but that probably makes me just a guilty of just another item on this list myself. Be that as it may, this goes onto adultery and fornication.  It really goes to the heart of sexuality and I have to note that all these references seem to be toward the straight community. Just say'n. Heterosexuals seem to need a great deal of supervision if God sees it necessary to add so many notices of what bad sexual behavior is.  This stricture if you will, goes beyond what most might consider normal sexual expression. I personally find it acceptable for almost anything that both parties are willingly enter into that is not dangerous or harmful. So, this goes beyond 'normal' and I think this enters into the territory of usury of others, non-consensual. Perhaps a better way of saying that might be inducing  someone to do things that are beyond the norm and that they might not be willing to do if it were not for some emotional need to satisfy the other.   I wouldn't no want to get into a litany of what is an approved or non-approved list of sexual practises. I do think we need to be aware of the intimate nature and psycho-sexual ramifications of our most intimate of gifts from God. Sexuality is an area of our being that has always been ripe for abuse and players use that to their advantage. Caveat emptor seems like a mild warning against licentiousness. 

envy - I remember someone who always asked where my husband and I went on vacation only to follow it with " I wish I could do that". As someone who is rather frugal and whose travels are not really indicative of spending a lot of money, I would always note that you can do it too. It all depends on how you spend your money. We all have choices and we really can't have it all. Should we even try? Can't we be happy with what we have? Isn't everything graced by virtue of how we use and live with what we have?  Envy is so anti-God.  God is all about  using the tools we have, not just who we are, to build the kingdom. We are witnesses and ambassadors.  That's a difficult task to undertake when you are always looking at what someone else has.  It can't be done if you are not satisfied, happy and thankful for who you are and what you have.

slander - I recall someone saying once that "I hate to gossip . . . . so listen carefully, I am only going to say this once!" Last night at a cocktail party in my neighborhood a fight broke out. True story. There were words, a hurled drink and then punches flew. You could almost wish a little old nun would appear, grab them both by the ears and march them off for a serious talking to. I did not witness the actual confrontation. What I did witness was the slander after the fact from both 'sides'.  Wow, if an event could split a gathering this was it. When we disagree with someone or simply their position, political, religious or whatever, why must we resort to bad mouthing people?  We can't seem to agree to disagree, we don't even attempt to understand or listen. We 'listen' long enough to interject our own next point that has to be made. In other words we don't listen at all really. We simply wait for the other to need a new breath of air and use that opportunity to go off on our own.  This isn't about listening at all, this is about rejecting the other because we feel rejected or disrespected.  This is such a common and horrific dynamic. We should never feel the need to demean as a means of supporting our position or opinion. Adolescents do this by making up names for people that disagree with them - oh yeah, that's our President again. He has nicknames galore and all because someone disagrees with him. How can this man be of God, let alone the chosen one? I digress. Let's not slander or demean, eh?



      For this long list of sins and our thoughtfulness, introspection and repentance, I pray. 

Mark 7:1-23

Now when the Pharisees and some of the scribes who had come from Jerusalem gathered around him, they noticed that some of his disciples were eating with defiled hands, that is, without washing them. (For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, do not eat unless they thoroughly wash their hands, thus observing the tradition of the elders; and they do not eat anything from the market unless they wash it; and there are also many other traditions that they observe, the washing of cups, pots, and bronze kettles.) So the Pharisees and the scribes asked him, ‘Why do your disciples not live according to the tradition of the elders, but eat with defiled hands?’ He said to them, ‘Isaiah prophesied rightly about you hypocrites, as it is written,
“This people honours me with their lips,
   but their hearts are far from me; 
in vain do they worship me,
   teaching human precepts as doctrines.” 
You abandon the commandment of God and hold to human tradition.’

No comments:

Post a Comment