Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The mission is simple, should you decide to accept it.

      I recall when my children were very young and I was busy, busy, busy with all the attendant details of raising them, I had lamented that I no longer had time to do some of the volunteer work that I used to be able to do. I know that I thought about this for quite a while. I also know that I came to the conclusion that raising my kids was a mission and a calling. Raising my kids was a way of changing the world from my little inner circle outwards.  That is one of the facets of Baptism. It is probably what HRC spoke of when she wrote, It Takes A Village.  No grand gestures but we all play a part in changing the world for the better, each in our own small supporting ways. Mine was to raise my kids into faithful servants knowing they are fully loved and graced with special gifts that only they have, given to them by the Creator.

        The trick in all that is not to get swamped in trying to accomplish too much by yourself. Unless that is a specific gift you happen to be graced with, slow down a bit, do what you are being called to do.  Doing too much is a form of arrogance and someone is bound to suffer. Your mission is bound to suffer.

        When I was in the process of Ordination, my then spouse was asked to sign a document that lay out that I was going to be doing enormous works that would possibly        ( and most assuredly did ) take me away from the duties at home and that they were a willing participant in this endeavor. Call it spousal approval for what some have called the Church as the 'other woman' if you will. 

         After I was released from my vows, both clerical and spousal, I met a wonderful man that I came to fall in love with.  At the same time I moved to the Episcopal church as I was probably one all my life anyway. ( I think most Roman Catholics are ). My beliefs and notions more closely aligned with them and dare I say, the teachings and life of Christ.  That only brought up the possibility of me returning to a clerical state by becoming an Episcopal Deacon.  I realized though, as I had with my own children, that my mission, goal, calling and life was to be one of a married man. That means to me, living the life of Christ as a companion and lover solely of my other, my husband. I am active in the church for sure, but I am cognizant that my primary ministry is to love my spouse and be a witness to God's love in so doing.

       This all came flooding back to me as I read today's passage. The fledgling and growing church of the Acts of the Apostles spelled out virtually the same thing I have come to know. The Apostles noted that they should 'not neglect the word of God by waiting on tables'.  And so individuals called to another service was created, the diaconate or diaconia. The Apostles realized that if they did too much or tried to carry out too much by themselves someone would suffer. There is great wisdom in that now just as it was realized back then.

       Sometimes I am amazed at how much I used to do as a Roman Deacon. I ran around for countess hours doing a million things and I know that everyone suffered for my busyness, not the least of which was my family. I have had the time to reflect and know that we often are not called to grand designs, plans and service. Perhaps in our arrogance we think we are being called to such. We are actually called to be the best person we are in the realm we are in. Parent, spouse, uncle, whomever. Be the best we can be, know we are witnesses to God's love in the world. If we all do that, the world would be a much better place. Christians might actually resemble Christ.  Religions might point us towards holiness and wholeness not simply honored and praised abiders of rules and rubrics.

         For our simple missions in life that graces and exalts God and the love bestowed on us, we pray.

Acts 6:1-15

Now during those days, when the disciples were increasing in number, the Hellenists complained against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution of food. And the twelve called together the whole community of the disciples and said, ‘It is not right that we should neglect the word of God in order to wait at tables.Therefore, friends, select from among yourselves seven men of good standing, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this task, while we, for our part, will devote ourselves to prayer and to serving the word.’ What they said pleased the whole community, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, together with Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. They had these men stand before the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them.
Stephen, full of grace and power, did great wonders and signs among the people. Then some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called), Cyrenians, Alexandrians, and others of those from Cilicia and Asia, stood up and argued with Stephen. But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he spoke. Then they secretly instigated some men to say, ‘We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and God.’ They stirred up the people as well as the elders and the scribes; then they suddenly confronted him, seized him, and brought him before the council. They set up false witnesses who said, ‘This man never stops saying things against this holy place and the law; for we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazarethwill destroy this place and will change the customs that Moses handed on to us.’ And all who sat in the council looked intently at him, and they saw that his face was like the face of an angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment