Thursday, June 6, 2019

Justifiable

       Given the opportunity,  I suspect we could all come up with an explanation for one of the many errant things we have done in our lives. There is always a reason. Even the hate mongers have - a reason. Likely, that hate monger contorts Scripture and presumes that only they know what God truly intends. It just so happens to coincide with their own warped and imperfect vision of reality. Justifications abound.

      I do love how Jesus gives the lawyer a zetz. Not content to simply clarify what it means to love and specifically, "who is my neighbor?", Jesus picks the lowest of the low for his hero. A Samaritan who does the good that a Priest and a Levite would not do.  I think the haters would be stunned when Jesus might say the good an (illegal) immigrant would do, or a person with AIDS or a gay married couple would do to help a poor soul. The fact is, the haters don't see very much good in anyone or anything that does not jive with their view of life or of God.

       But let me not rail too much on the haters. Let's look at you and me. Who do we think our neighbor is?  As much as I dislike that "H" word, it is a two way street.  Dislike goes both ways. I am not sure I see much good at all coming from the far right so called Christian Conservatives out there. I justify myself by noting how hypocritical they are. I note the anti-gay zealot who has secretly been having a gay affair behind his wife's back. I see the famous ex-gay therapy guy who recently came out as gay. The Catholics who rally "pro-life" but support cuts to every other life supporting measure for the citizenry. The contradictions and fake justifications seem so obvious to so many of us. Perhaps we should be a bit more understanding especially in light of the obviousness of their personal plight and self hate.

          But we do like to justify ourselves. That hasn't changed.  I did not come out until the age of 50. That is, it took that long for me to connect the dots and overcome some obviously serious self denial. It all seems amazingly obvious now.  I was blessed to realize that I could not hate those that did not understand. If it took me 50 years, how could I expect someone else to accept me right away?  Justification is also a two way street. Our love and compassion should allow us to see others' apparent failings and shortcomings and love them anyway.  We have to realize we too have many of those same failings and shortcomings and perhaps quite a few more.

            Justify all you want. But  at least try to be brutally honest with yourself. Most of all, in your justifications and hopefully not that "H" word, remember that our primary goal, mission and calling is to love.

       For lots of loving, no judgments and scant justifications, we pray this day. 

Luke 10:25-37

But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, ‘And who is my neighbour?’ Jesus replied, ‘A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan while travelling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, “Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.” Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbour to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?’ He said, ‘The one who showed him mercy.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Go and do likewise.’

No comments:

Post a Comment