Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Tectonic movements of glaciers

     When I look back on my life, I am amazed that I was able to mask the fact that I am gay. More than a mask, I had an utter self denial of who I was. When the tectonic movements merely started the shell to crack, I was attending a retreat in the Canadian Rockies. I was visiting a glacier as a tourist and they noted the power of the glaciers movement. Every effort of man to circumvent the movement or to plan roads had been slowly, surely and inevitably swallowed up, covered over and demolished. The point our guide made is that even in the rate of it's receding, the power of nature was so awesome that nothing stopped this force of nature. It even decapitated mountain tops as it moved along it's path, smoothing round jagged peaks that were there before

       For nothing is hidden that will not be disclosed, nor is anything secret that will not become known and come to light.

       I was struck with fear when I visited the Columbia Ice fields in Canada. If I was gay, there was no force that could stop me from being what God created me to be.  I was horrified that what had merely crossed my mind about myself would be revealed if it were in fact true. If am gay I thought, nothing could stop it!

        In retrospect it was one of those watershed moments in my life. Later, much later, after Ordination, a great deal of therapy and divorce, I came to know and accept that I am gay. In fact, I came to know it, revel in it and thank God for it. 

        Accepting who you are is as powerful as an glacier. Being who you are cannot be hidden, should not be hidden. Should anyone be ashamed of the gifts God has graced them with? The question in life is what do you do what those gifts? Respect them? Love them? Share them? It seems it would be a sin of considerable magnitude to turn your back on a gift from God. It seems to me it would also be a sin of some kind to misuse a gift from God.

      Who we are and what we are graced with are all for the glory of God.  Love our fellow creations, respect, care for and love everyone and everything.  Everything will be disclosed. Nothing will, or really can, be hidden.

         For lights on nightstands, for light in our lives and love of who we are, we give thanks and praise this glorious day.   

Luke 8:16-18

 ‘No one after lighting a lamp hides it under a jar, or puts it under a bed, but puts it on a lampstand, so that those who enter may see the light. For nothing is hidden that will not be disclosed, nor is anything secret that will not become known and come to light. Then pay attention to how you listen; for to those who have, more will be given; and from those who do not have, even what they seem to have will be taken away.’

No comments:

Post a Comment