Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Shun or rebuke?

       It is so difficult to embrace those sects, cults or strains of 'religious' that claim to be followers of Christ ( Christian ) and yet have virtually none of the hallmarks of a Christian faith as witnessed by their actions. Further, they use, misuse and misinterpret Scripture to support an agenda which is essentially anathema to the doctrines of the living Christ and the Spirit. Basically, anything at all to support their own cause. Too strong? How do you love these errant brothers and sisters? How do embrace them? 

         A current news item about Mike Pence quotes him as saying " Prepare to be ‘shunned or ridiculed for defending the teachings of the Bible". Well, that just isn't so.  The cacophony of voices that may seem to ridicule and shun are actually the voices of devout Christians around the world trying to tell him in the most loving way ( it is a challenge ) that he is wrong spirited, wrong on Scripture and wrong on how one lives out being a true follower of Jesus. This is not shunning, this is consistent with what we as Christians are told to do, albeit in a considerably more vocal and public way. What Mike Pence views as shunning is a resounding public rebuke of his ways, his unloving, his un-Christian, his un-supported errant Christian ways. 

         On to my own errant ways, because there is nothing like a hypocrite, right?  My problems are legion even as I describe myself as a good and faithful servant with a good heart. Perhaps that's the very slippery slope Mike is on, I wonder? Anyway I leave you with this little snippet of myself.

        I am one of those people that never gives to the beggars in the street.  While I don't make verbal comments like "are there no work houses?" I certainly am aware of the many houses and establishments available to the poor, homeless and needy. I also have held this notion that if I give some money, it will just be spent on alcohol or dope.  Rather judgmental on my part eh? At the same time I hold about $30 in dollar coins in my car. It's 'an emergency fund'. Like I don't have access to money and $30 is grandly sufficient to get me out of a jam.  Occasionally I have indulged in that silly practice of throwing coins in someones new car and I pry open the purse strings of that 'emergency fund' for that purpose. I'll toss 5 coins in someones new car as good luck, as a materialistic prayer of well wishes.

         So, love everyone? Hate and hypocrisy? What am I to do. Well, I will hereby and henceforward hold at least five coins in my pocket on a regular basis for any 'beggers' I come across. I will pry open the purse strings and whatever that person does with the coins is on them, I will have tried. It is not my call to control others. Secondly, rather than a pointed, ranting and likely close to illiterate poison pen letter to Mike Pence, why not a more kindly note of rebuke?  It is likely that neither method would be well received but that again that will be on him.  A friendly rebukes odds of converting someone are more likely than a scathing one.

         This Christianity thing is not easy. Loving your brother, loving those that really just irritate the heck out of you, loving those that are wrong or that really oppose the very things you believe in, all incredibly, incredibly hard to do.  But persist we must if we do believe.

       I am a bit of a fundamentalist. No, not in that thoughtless unloving way we seem to see on the Christian Conservative right. My conservatism goes back further than Scripture really to the actual life f Christ. That is, before even the words were put to paper, err,  papyrus or whatever it is they wrote on. My fundamentalism is based in the loving life of Christ. The love we witness by Jesus actions as witnessed by the writings that came later on. Besides the jaundiced view of Christianity put down by the Apostles and writers of those Gospels is a message born of His actions. It was love, inclusiveness and a joy for living and being fully human. That is my fundamentalism. I is not hedonism, it is altruism, it is faithfulness to the Father, it is trying love the totality of creation with respect and dignity for everyone and everything.

        For our own faults, our attempts to love and for conversion of hearts, we pray.

Luke 6:27-38

 ‘But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. Do to others as you would have them do to you.
 ‘If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
 ‘Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back.’

No comments:

Post a Comment