Monday, April 1, 2019

Lent - Day 27

       One of things I have been praying about this particular Lenten season is to have some understanding ( if at all possible ) of the machinations of the world. Between lying politicians, dictators, wars, Brexit, laws that dictate public stoning, policies that deny science and a whole range of worldly human activities that I simply cannot grasp. That is, I totally disagree with and find a contradiction to faith and God's calling. 

       Two of the readings today as well as the holy person highlighted today,               ( Frederick Denison Maurice ), concern themselves with law and worldly concerns . We are after all physical beings. I am reminded though of my own thoughts, writings and knowledge that we are also spiritual beings. We have dual characters. Our job in Lent as in life, is t work with both and overcome the differences perhaps?  Jesus was quite capable of integrating the two living a fully human life and acknowledging to the full all that he is, human and divine.

        I am not sure I will ever fully understand the physical world and our human actions that seem to ignore our spiritual calling and character. Too often we seem to live 'in God's face', a way of life that demeans ourselves and our brothers and sisters, disrespects God's creations in us and the entire world.This may be the closest definition I can come to with my idea of 'social sin'. 

        Are we to ignore then the machinations of the world, sequester ourselves and our lives from the evils that we see?  While stepping aside or 'going to the mountain to pray' is an excellent way to listen and look inside ourselves, what is needed is the same thing the prodigal father indulged in. We must keep our focus on love. We are called to be part of the word but not of the world. We ( I ) need to embrace my faith in the power of love and witnessing to a starving world what answers lie in embracing love for all, love of God and love of self.

        For not understanding all that is going on but loving with reckless abandon in the name of God, we pray.  

Romans 7:1-12

No comments:

Post a Comment