Monday, April 29, 2019

Itchy ears and small hands.

       Why is it that we cannot seem to help ourselves in judging others?  In truth we compare how each of us responds to the Gospel message.  What is the basis for such judgments? To many it is doctrine. To some it is tradition. To others still, it is snippets of holy Scripture that support what they already want to believe. This latter group, these are the ones with 'itchy ears'. They will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires. 

        The two bold faces of Christianity then are the fake Christianity of itchy ears and the other, real and true Christianity, is the one that emulates the actions of Jesus Christ, His message and the Spirit. One can see by the taste of the fruit which good actions bare. Inclusiveness, justice, peace, love, forgiveness, generosity - the list goes on. When you see adultery, waste, boasting, hate, selfishness and lies - these are the signs of fake Christianity. These are the signs of those with itchy ears. These are the signs of people who claim to be believers yet whose actions strongly betray their beliefs with hollow justifications.

      If our President were to say, I am a weak and sinful man, I have erred and now choose to repent,  radically changed his course, no longer sinning but instead embracing all, that would be the sign of a man of God. It would also be a miracle in the same order of magnitude as the parting of seas.

         The difference is all in our acceptance of our own sinfulness and also in our responsibility and desire to be disciples. We are disciples by the outward fruit of our faith. Our actions. Our love. Our humble and contrite hearts.

       Do you have itchy ears? Does my life and yours witness to our beliefs? Do we emulate the good in the world as witnessed by Jesus as well as other holy men and women? I'm not even limiting this to Jesus or Christianity. Do you seek the wisdom of Buddha or the Dalai Lama in how we live and love?  Do our actions align with our belief in love and brotherhood? 

        For itchy ears and our life aligning with our beliefs in love and thanksgiving, we pray.

2 Timothy 4:1-11

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I solemnly urge you: proclaim the message; be persistent whether the time is favourable or unfavourable; convince, rebuke, and encourage, with the utmost patience in teaching. For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths. As for you, always be sober, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, carry out your ministry fully.
 As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing. 
 Do your best to come to me soon, for Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica; Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia. Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful in my ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment