Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Getting all pruny with pruning

        I was reading an article in an entertainment rag the other day, apparently there is a plan afoot to resurrect the Six Million Dollar Man and it will now become the Six Billion dollar man. Who doesn't like the action packed adventures of someone with superior parts, intellect and perhaps compassion?  I am not sure what the general consensus is about the compassion part but I think it might be a big hit. Perhaps as big as the original with Lee Majors.  I am reminded of my growing list of replacement parts, hip, knee, vessels. I joke that my husband is replacing me piece by piece. 'I can make him better, stronger!'  I just pray he doesn't arrive at a moment in time when he realizes "you're not the man I married!'.

         Be that as it may, I think we all like to improve ourselves. Lent was in great part about becoming our fully human selves, fully engaged. Improving ourselves by getting rid of the muck in our lives and focusing on the magnificent creation we are as created by God.  We also of course work on the physical, improving our strength, physique and mind too.  We are all about improving the mind, better educated, better though processes, better memory.

        John today focuses on God who removes branches that do not bear fruit, pruning to produce more fruit.  Sounds very much like a Divine self improvement program. Lent is over but we are not about resting on our laurels. Have we become the best that we can be? Do we love as much as we can, forgive that "70 times seven" that Jesus spoke of? ( Mt. 18:21-22 ).

       Yesterday was a breathtakingly beautiful spring day. There were landscapers all around mulching, trimming and yes, pruning. Until the plants and trees are dead, there is pruning and routine care to be be tended to.  I hope that we are not under the delusion that now that Lent is over, we do not need to prune ourselves. Yes, until the day we die at least, we need to be growing, pruning and be constantly on edge to hear the word of God and grow. The only essence that has already reached and in fact IS perfection is God. We need to give ourselves attention always.

           For pruning and growth, we pray.

John 15:1-11

No comments:

Post a Comment