Thursday, January 17, 2019

The Commonwealth of Israel

     As I noted recently, I have taken to reading the Bible every day with the intent of finishing it, cover to cover, in 90 days. One of the striking things about Genesis is the focus on genealogy and the relationships from 'the beginning'.

         In today's passage from Ephesians, there is a phrase used that has me thinking about our community of believers and that we are, as it says, a 'commonwealth of Israel'. It is so interestingly put forth as a matter of fact. I so often rail against the Roman church that I failed perhaps to see that they are my brothers in faith, however misguided or wrong hearted.  What are we to do with the people of Christian faith and the Jewish community that we do not always see eye to eye with, perhaps even vehemently disagree with, and know that we are our kinsmen?

       As long as I can recall I have been of the belief that God loves "them" at least as much as God loves me and I think God loves me a whole heckuva bunch. I am accustomed to thinking that way in terms of foreigners or people that simply rub me the wrong way. Do I believe the same about Christians in other denominations who seem so wrong hearted and sterile? How about 'the hats' that my father-in-law and I speak of? The ultra orthodox Jews that seem so distant and foreign in our midst? Are they my welcomed and loved kinsmen?  What of the crazy errant Westboro Baptist church? Are they my kinsmen? Do I love them and pray for them?

         It truly is not an easy task to say, believe and act on the notion that we are the 'commonwealth of Israel' but yet we are if we claim to be any kind of Jew, Christian and yes, even Islam began at the branch of Abraham. How are we called to act with this newly realized piece of information? This is something I will be thinking about all day and especially as I continue reading the Bible each day.

 

Ephesians 2:11-22

 So then, remember that at one time you Gentiles by birth, called ‘the uncircumcision’ by those who are called ‘the circumcision’—a physical circumcision made in the flesh by human hands— remember that you were at that time without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace; in his flesh he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the hostility between us. He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances, so that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making peace, and might reconcile both groups to God in one body through the cross, thus putting to death that hostility through it. So he came and proclaimed peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near; for through him both of us have access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone. In him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built together spirituallyinto a dwelling-place for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment