Thursday, December 27, 2018

Fabulous Fabiola

       Someone once noted to me one of the differences between Europeans or Italy and the United States. I think we were discussing the legal systems of each. Specifically, the attitude of the people of each culture to laws.  What I was told as an example, is the use of stop signs or red lights in traffic. In the United states you stop at a stop sign. Even those that 'roll' through feel that they have somehow stopped. In Italy though ( they said ) such traffic signs were suggestions, a mere recommendation.  So the difference in cultures was said to be that the USA was much more legalistic. 

       As I had been married before ( to a woman ), had been a Roman Catholic Deacon, and now married to a 'gentleman', I am acutely aware of the legalistic nature of life here in these United States, especially as it relates to the Roman Catholic church. I did receive a blistering letter speaking about my ordination and noted that I had "attempted to marry another gentleman". Well, I succeeded and of course I am now persona non grata in the Roman Church. None of this was done by me on a whim needless to say and I felt compelled out of respect to be completely forthright and honest with that church out of respect. It is utterly sad and ironic that the respect is not mutual. Please note that I speak of the doctrinal hierarchical Roman church. Many real Catholics have been loving, embracing and disagree with the Roman view of (many ) things.

            What has my mind stirring is Saint Fabiola, who died on this date in the year 399.  Fabiola did great good and like so many faithful, searched in earnest to deepen her faith and serve God's people. The sticking point for me is the fact that she had gotten a legal divorce and had entered into a 'second union'. Married again? Is that a Roman euphemism for a second marriage like 'attempting to marry another gentleman' was a euphemism for  current marriage.

           What this is telling me from the benefit of the Episcopalian book of holy peopleand holy lives is that God is perhaps not as legalistic as we might be. Just as we try to define and contain God's love in our rules and rubrics, so also God does not feel compelled to honour man made laws that stifle life and love and put limitations on human service in His name.  By all accounts Fabiola led an interesting and holy life. It is a blessing beyond measure that  humans did not erase her love of God and negate her service because she might not have measured up to the rules set forth by men in the name of God. Maybe the Roman church was not always so legaistic and heartless. Maybe it is something unique to the Roman Church in the United States or that has developed in that church long after Fabiola served in God's name.

            I do not accept the findings or judgments of the Roman Church on their view of my life.  I am loved and encouraged by my sacramental life in the Episcopal church. 
I encourage everyone who is marginalized or excommunicated by any Church, especially the Roman church, not to give up on God. God still loves you with an enormity that we cannot even comprehend.  Aim our lives toward God no matter what men of impotent power and bankrupt morals say. 

       Live, love and serve God.

No comments:

Post a Comment