Friday, December 21, 2018

Bread crumbs to God.

       A truly wonderful and interesting time of year. So many religions have placed their claims on this season as if to draw attention to the truth that they hold.  I am not sure if it is by a universal  human yearning, by design or competition but so many peoples' hearts speak of love and peace during this season. 

        I am confounded by those people that claim that there is no God.  I am of the opinion that what they are actually saying is not so much about believing but  that there should be no religion or that they completely disagree with what man has done. Man tries to define God, put their own limits on God and have done enormously heinous things in the name of God. I'd agree, that God is one I also have no interest in. 

         But it seems to me that everyone recognizes that there is a fundamental question about origins of humanity, the world or the universe. That ever evolving unanswered question can easily ( to my mind ) be labelled as God. In that sense I do not believe there is anyone that is a true atheist. 

         When Job speaks of counsel without knowledge, I am thinking about the guidance of a greater power and how we are given snippets of understanding.  It would make no sense to discuss mesons and muons to the ancient Israelites or any other of our ancestors. This is why every culture or civilization has a creation story or myth. We seek to understand, we seek knowledge and reason.  It is God that we seek, it is God that completes us.

       Part of our answer is in our very own humanity, who we are and what we are. The answer to that is tricky. rules and rubrics can lead us stray. The answer is for God to take on our humanity and guide us.  Throw humanity some bread crumbs to follow and give us the Spirit to guide us further in knowledge and love.

         In a few days we will celebrate Christmas. Jesus is our answer in all his humanity and divinity.  That is the essence of Christmas.  The gift of God's guidance and love to us. 

Job 42:1-6

Then Job answered the Lord: 
‘I know that you can do all things,
   and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. 
“Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?”
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
   things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. 
“Hear, and I will speak;
   I will question you, and you declare to me.” 
I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
   but now my eye sees you; 
therefore I despise myself,
   and repent in dust and ashes.’ 


No comments:

Post a Comment