Friday, November 16, 2018

Driving insane

       Yesterday I witnessed perhaps one of the worst car accidents ever. Multiple cars strewn over the opposing section of highway, upended, flipped over, crushed beyond recognition. They were arrayed in such fashion that it appears the cars were billiard balls spread out after the first break indicating mass and great velocity were involved. Very sad.  I was almost constantly aware of the caliber of driver on the roads I found myself in yesterday in Florida, a mix of old timers being extra cautious and younger less patient drivers with a love for speed and a feeling of immortality. 

       It is easy to lose yourself in the practicalities of driving in what seems to be a real life video game. I myself have been known to shout "idiot" and "moron" at errant drivers and sometimes even a wave off, while admitting I do not always use all of my fingers in that wave.  After reading this snippet from James this morning I am aware of two immediate things. One is I am thankful to be home in my jungle habitat with my husband and cat. The other revelation or reminder really, is the admonition here in James to rid ourselves of bad behaviors that overtake our good nature. That is, the nature of love and goodness God has placed within us to cooperate with and create the kingdom of God on earth. It is a hard con job to convince someone with one hand that you love them while waving with one finger to them with the other. 

       Many years ago I found the lonely commute at 4am an excellent time to pray, chant and listen to some of my favorite spiritual music.  It did not make the drunks on the road at that time better drivers but it made me a better companion to them, alert and forgiving, leaving the policing to the police. My coworkers also found me a better person once I arrived there. Centering and making a concerted effort to listen and love makes a huge difference in everyone's life, especially ourselves.

       I am not sure how much mediation or centering was practical yesterday on the roads but but I know I was thoroughly sobered by the carnage left strewn around like a child's play toys. I know I will make more of an effort to  be listen more, talk less and be slow to anger for everyone's benefit - especially me.

James 1:19-27

You must understand this, my beloved: let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger; for your anger does not produce God’s righteousness. Therefore rid yourselves of all sordidness and rank growth of wickedness, and welcome with meekness the implanted word that has the power to save your souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment