Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Clarity

       I worked in the same medical facility, a large teaching hospital, for well over 35 years. During that time I lived life as everyone does, raised a family and alas, after about year 25, I started to have some issues. They were 'easily' resolved by my coming out. It was a surprise or shock to  most of the people I had come to know, love and work with. It wasn't on the front page of any newspaper I ever saw but the message leaked out as I let it be known matter of factly to one person after another as appropriate.  One day in our crowded lunch room, a hospital aid found out that I was getting a divorce. She was ecstatic that she would now be able to hook me up with her friend, an old acquaintance of mine. She was insistent as she made plans shouting across the crowded lunch room. I of course was just as insistent that she was 'not my type' and that I was not interested.  Finally half the lunch room shouted for her to stop and almost all in unison said "he's not interested - HE'S GAY!"  It was a rather funny moment and it was interesting to see the light go off in the young woman's face.

         Have you ever had a moment when you finally got something? Perhaps something you were aware of but could never put your finger on or simply were blind for one reason or another?

         Twice in today's passage, we see people that are blind and cannot see. First it is the disciples that can't seem to understand what Jesus is telling them about His own near future. Next is a person who is quite literally blind but whom Jesus cures.

          What are things that we don't see, can't see or refuse to see?  We all have the experience, we all have the limitation and propensity to not see what we would rather not see or deal with.

           If memory serves correctly, after much therapy so I could 'see myself clearly', I came out to my daughter who promptly noted "it's about time'. Wow. She apparently had no problem seeing what I could not see or refused to see, what my wife could apparently not see and what everyone else around me either could not see or didn't want to mention.

          Some things we avoid seeing are minor, others are major.  Great stories like  A Christmas Carol are based on great personal blindness to our selves and the world.  How great it would be if all of life was 20/20. I am not sure we are all ready for such great vision but I do know that I ask God ( pray ) for clarity as I am able to handle it. 

         I pray we can see more of life with clarity, love and compassion this upcoming Advent season. 

          

Luke 18:31-43

 Then he took the twelve aside and said to them, ‘See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written about the Son of Man by the prophets will be accomplished. For he will be handed over to the Gentiles; and he will be mocked and insulted and spat upon. After they have flogged him, they will kill him, and on the third day he will rise again.’ But they understood nothing about all these things; in fact, what he said was hidden from them, and they did not grasp what was said.
 As he approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. When he heard a crowd going by, he asked what was happening. They told him, ‘Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.’ Then he shouted, ‘Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!’ Those who were in front sternly ordered him to be quiet; but he shouted even more loudly, ‘Son of David, have mercy on me!’ Jesus stood still and ordered the man to be brought to him; and when he came near, he asked him, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ He said, ‘Lord, let me see again.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Receive your sight; your faith has saved you.’ Immediately he regained his sight and followed him, glorifying God; and all the people, when they saw it, praised God.

No comments:

Post a Comment