Sunday, October 28, 2018

I'm convinced

        A long time ago I fell in love with the notion of a particular car, a van actually.  I have loved cars since before I can remember - I think two years old.  This particular van was the cream of the crop - top of the line, every option. It was a luxury turnpike cruiser par excellence and left no options unchecked. It was a real beauty and so was the price tag. I had convinced myself it was worth every penny and I justified it even more by saying I would be able to drive my Mom around in it. She was in a nursing home.  As it turned out, all the convincing and good intention are not enough to fill a gas tank. While not quite a gas pig, it was not frugal either and it was very, very expensive to run. So much so that I found that I was limiting my travels because I could not afford it. There were several good lessons learned there, not the least of which is what we can convince ourselves of.

          I suppose this is one of the benefits of a good marriage. The balance, the play, the 'other voice' of reason is a welcome one.  That alternate voice of reason, whether through marriage, faith or friendship is what today's passage from Matthew speaks of.

         Since we are capable of convincing ourselves of so many things in life, it is nice to know that there are voices of reason we can speak to. I can still recall the voice of Goliath in his husky drawn voice saying ' Day-vee, I don't think we should be doing this - Day-vee'.  Loved that show. Call it a conscience, a friend who asks you if you are stupid, or someone who informs us that we are plain wrong about something, I welcome it.

         It may come across as corrective actions, intrusions or unwelcome advice, but the fact of the matter is, we make mistakes. Are we willing to accept advice or help? Are we strong enough to accept that we are wrong, forget about some wrong sense of pride and make corrective actions in our lives?

         It seems there is a certain amount of personal maturity and faith that is required to  accept failures and bad judgment of ourselves and move forward especially when pointed out by someone else.  It's much better when it is our own idea. As relational beings, we must accept our interdependence with others and the role they can play in helping us on our journey to wholeness and holiness.

Matthew 18:15-20

 ‘If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you, you have regained that one. But if you are not listened to, take one or two others along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If the member refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to listen even to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a tax-collector. Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.’

No comments:

Post a Comment