Saturday, July 21, 2018

I will never desert you

       Do you know how it feels to be in a situation that no matter which decision you make, whatever choice you make, they all seem to be unacceptable.  The Kobayashi Maru scenario from Star Trek or simply, a no win situation.  Yet you have to do something. Not everyone has to face this situation but when you do, it can traumatic. Sadly, some people choose the irreversible , misguided choice, taking their own life. I was very close to that point when I was coming to terms with being gay. Married to a good woman, children, member of the clergy, active in te church and community. I know that it can be an exceptionally tough decision for some, to acknowledge who God made them to be. To accept and not hide God's gift even when some might turn their backs or hate you. I am happier that it is not as big a thing for most people any more.  Still though, you are revealing something deeply personal to an often unforgiving, judgmental world.

      Certainly, coming out is not the only situation in life that can seem like we have no good choices. What got me though was today's Scripture passage. Well, not this passage so much as the embedded message deep inside that no matter what, God was with me, Jesus was standing with, carrying me if need be, loving me without question no matter what.

       When I taught religious education classes to young kids, including my own, I tried to instill in them just how much God loved them. I'd ask them their name and they said it without hesitation. I told the kids that I wanted them to know that God loves them with the same certainty that they could just say their own name. I mean, to really know God loves you in every fiber of your being.  One thing I guess the nuns in my long storied Catholic school education did was to instill in me that innate knowledge. And no, they did not beat it into me either.

     I hope you never have to face any Kobayashi Maru moments but I think it is terribly important to know deep inside and all through your being just how much you are loved. It is not dependent on anything other than being who you are, a lovable carefully crafted being.  If you do face tough times then, know also that God would never abandon you. God is alongside you - always.  Then too, know in the good times, God is there also to share that joy and inviting you to share that love with everyone else and to be there for someone else in tough times. A unity in love. 

Matthew 26:26-35

While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, ‘Take, eat; this is my body.’ Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink from it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will never again drink of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.’
When they had sung the hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
Then Jesus said to them, ‘You will all become deserters because of me this night; for it is written,
“I will strike the shepherd,
   and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.” 
But after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.’ Peter said to him, ‘Though all become deserters because of you, I will never desert you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Truly I tell you, this very night, before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.’ Peter said to him, ‘Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you.’ And so said all the disciples.

No comments:

Post a Comment