Sunday, June 24, 2018

Oatmeal and blueberry bars

     Not really fond of this mornings passage from Luke. The passage speaks of division, families divided, people divided. It seems that there is entirely too much of that going on right now in the world. It's not just nation against nation, it is citizens against citizens , one religion against another and even 'Chrstians' against 'Christians'. It's all very disheartening.

      When I think about Jesus, I think about love, not sowing division. Is this the way it is meant to be? I really don't think so. I also have doubts about the sincerity of some people as true "Christians" as their actions don't follow any tenets I have ever come across. They do not follow the heart of Jesus but rather cherry pick passages that support their own political and power agendas. I suspect that the self righteousness of many ( perhaps even myself ) will be greeted at the pearly gates with some rather surprising news. But all that does is speak all the more about our divisions.

       This morning I woke and saw nothing but fog on the water. I could not see a thing. I suppose it is a matter of some faith that there was actually water out there since I couldn't see it at all.  Not one of our better views from the bridge of this fine waterside abode. I set out to make baked oatmeal and blueberry bars for brunch later this morning with neighbors.  As I was cleaning up I noted one egg was left, some blueberries and assorted other baking standards. I decided to make two small blueberry puffs in addition to the oatmeal for our neighbors.  What a delightful and unexpected treat to 'hold us over' until the brunch.  From the disorganized left over ingredients came a scrumptious morning delight.  I hadn't planned it, couldn't see it earlier but out of the fog came an idea and the ingredients were there. Voila!

         Out of the disorganization of the world, I suspect the ingredients are all there for a loving and not so divisive world.  I can't see it right now but I have faith that it exists in God's mind and so it is in our hearts and can exist in our world.  I suppose all we can do sometimes is be as productive and loving as we possibly can and then see what good comes out of it. That is, do what we can and trust in God. Have faith. Love some more, eat some more. Live life to the full, always loving. Sounds like a great recipe.

Luke 12:49-56

‘I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!        I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and what stress I am under until it is completed! Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division! From now on, five in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three; they will be divided:
father against son
   and son against father,
mother against daughter
   and daughter against mother,
mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law
   and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.’
He also said to the crowds, ‘When you see a cloud rising in the west, you immediately say, “It is going to rain”; and so it happens. And when you see the south wind blowing, you say, “There will be scorching heat”; and it happens. You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky, but why do you not know how to interpret the present time?

No comments:

Post a Comment