Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Rescued!

     I am not sure I am qualified to even comment on the times that God has rescued me.  Of all the things that I try to be aware of, or be present to, being saved from precarious situations is not one of them.  How many times was I too naive to see I was being offered a good time? How many corners of trial did I miss because of one thing or another. I have no doubt whatsoever that God has saved me from so much evil, temptation and sin.

     One of the reasons I feel so convinced is because there have been numerous times that I have had quite in my face rescues. The time I was skidding sideways on an icy Adirondack road towards the guard rail ( and imminent cliff ). I stopped with a resounding thud. Only then did I realize I had been on 2 wheels sideways and the thud was the other 2 wheels of my car 'landing' on the icy roadway. Rescued!
  
      Of course another time I was right here in my neighborhood in my brothers' forward van stopped at a light. On that drizzly morning a fuel oil tanker truck rear ended a Corolla at the opposing intersection. The Corolla flew off like a crocket ball and sent the oil truck  spinning like a top on the slick pavement. My brother and I sat there slack jawed as the spinning truck seemed to aim directly at our stopped van. The truck in fact stopped a mere three feet in front of us, nose to nose. I chuckled a very nervous chuckle for days at the prospect of what a fireball we might have become. Rescued!

       There are other stories as well, too countless to note here for sure. What they tell me is how God is watching and rescuing me all the time. Perhaps out of sheer love for me, perhaps out of good Karma, perhaps I have been saved because I have some more work to do in this realm. I have no doubt that if God has rescued in mere physical things, I have also been so rescued in spiritual things. Perhaps Jesus death on the cross is the biggest rescue of them all, eh?

       Like I said, of all the things I think about and try to be cognizant of, spiritual rescues has not really been among them. Perhaps they should. It certainly is something for each of us to think about. And if we don't know what spiritual situations in life God has rescued us from, well, maybe that's a better thing. The physical rescues have been scary enough. 

        Yes I have been rescued and pray to be continually rescued. I know how much God loves me and all of us.  

Our Father in heaven,
   hallowed be your name. 

Your kingdom come.
   Your will be done,
     on earth as it is in heaven. 
Give us this day our daily bread. 
And forgive us our debts,
     as we also have forgiven our debtors. 
And do not bring us to the time of trial,
     but rescue us from the evil one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment