Friday, March 2, 2018

The faith of our fathers ...and mothers.


Joel 1:3

     Tell your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation.

With all the genetic ancestry tests that are now available, I would like to think we are coming closer to that moment when we may see one unified family. That would be a good thing right?

I describe myself as a mutt. I have many nationalities but at the same time I can trace my maternal grandfather‘s line back to the year 1400. It can be an awesome task to look at your genealogy. You have an appreciation for what your forefathers and foremothers went through to bring us to today. One of the interesting things that I noted from family papers is that my maternal grandfather was Catholic and he was very active in church organizations. My faith was something that was handed down to me. I consider that a great gift even if I am now officially and Episcopalian.

While I appreciate this gift I am in awe of people who have consciously decided to become Christian. To come to the decision that Jesus is our Lord and Savior independent of that fact being inculcated in them from their youth seems to me deserving of some extra merit.

The fact is however no matter what our history or our social status, we are all called to conversion on a daily basis. We called to re-affirm and learn, to grow in our faith. But will we make that decision or simply go blythely on resting on the laurels of our ancestors?  


No comments:

Post a Comment